Help completing two outfits?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help completing two outfits?

Hello fellas! I've been reading Dappered and lurking these threads for almost a year now. It's been great and I feel as if I've learned so much, although I would still consider myself a novice at this point. I was wondering if I could get some input on ways to complete these two outfits I had in mind. My biggest questions are regarding pants and shoes.

For the first outfit, I had these two items in mind. With this particular combo, I was unsure of what type and color pants to wear. I was considering the J Crew 484 essential chino or Bowery slim fit pants. Would either of these options work in this case? If so, which color option(s) would you say work the best?

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/calibrat...y&resultback=0

and

http://www.thetiebar.com/tie-bar-pro...bmit%2Ey%3D-48

For the second outfit, I was thinking of pairing some Dockers Alphas (possiblly in red?) with a simple white button-down and gray v-neck sweater. For both of these outfits, I am completely lost on what shoes to buy. I have absolutely no casual shoes and don't even know where to begin. I would appreciate any suggestions! I would ideally like to keep the price under $150.

It'd help a bit to know where you plan on wearing these outfits.

I don't have any experience wearing royal blue ties, so I'm not sure how best to wear one. Probably fine with navy gingham, but royal blue seems like one of those colors that, whenever it works, I'd always rather wear another color (in this case, burgundy). In terms of pants color to wear, most anything other than navy or a go to hell color should be fine. Chinos or wool trousers are both fine, too. Finally, weather permitting, I'd suggest wearing another layer over the shirt and tie, as a bare shirt and tie is very hard to pull off w/o looking like a child reluctantly dressing up.

Outfit two: grey v-neck over white button down collar is as foolproof a top half as it gets. That said, I think red is one of the few pants colors that wouldn't work well with it. For my taste, it seems like there'd be too much disjunction between the classic, conservative top half and the in your face bottom half.

Shoes: I wouldn't buy shoes specifically for an outfit, but, rather, I'd buy shoes that can go with lots of outfits I tend to wear and that best fill holes in my shoe wardrobe. In fact, the less sartorially certain you are, the more I think this guideline should be the principle for all your purchases.

Comment

Thanks for the inpu Idle!

For outfit 1 I was thinking Black Gingham shirt.

For reference, I'm 22 and still in school. These won't be worn until probably Alpril/May. I was trying to put together outfits for things like graduations, class presentations, and similar occasions. Nothing too serious.

As for the shoes, my goal is to buy one pair now that would work for a number of outfits (these included) as I currently have nothing but sneakers. I was eyeing a pair of Allen Edmond Neumoks in brown leather, but I think I'm going to wait until a sale comes around.
      Last edited by M; January 27, 2013, 12:35 PM.

Comment

Some brogues (wingtips) in brown and either light-tan or brown suede Clarks Desert Boots (or both colors). That'll get you through pretty much everything.

Comment

Gingham is very casual, and it does not easily pair with a tie. Have you considered going with a simple solid white or blue dress shirt? Either color will get you through anything, and can be paired with just about any outfit.

If it'd help, I can snap a picture of myself wearing a gingham shirt + a knit blue tie so you can see if you like the effect.

Have you checked out our Looks You Really Like thread? It may provide inspiration.

Comment

Mostly because I like to contradict bruschetta, I very much enjoy the look of gingham with a tie. Great look for events when a tie would look nice but isn't required. A summer outdoor wedding, a dinner out at a decent restaurant, a friend's dinner party.
            "You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

While greg_s does not have my class or dignity, he does possess a fantastic head of hair, and panache has to count for something.

Comment

Thanks for the the additional input fellas! I really have my heart set on a black gingham shirt & royal knit tie. I've seen it paired before and thought it looked great. If it isn't much trouble bruschetta, I wouldn't mind seeing it again!

My concern was mainly with pants and shoes, but more so with shoes. I don't know what would work well with this and other outfits. There are a few I've seen but am still unsure. I was thinking brown wingtips like Duvel had mentioned earlier. But I am unsure of the best quality brands that are relatively inexpensive (under $200 maybe?).

I fell in love with these when I saw them. I may still be able to swing for them. If I do, would these be versatile enough to work for a number of outfits? Anything similar in styling that yous could recommend?

http://www.allenedmonds.com/webapp/w...40000000001_-1

Comment

Originally posted by greg_s View Post
                  Mostly because I like to contradict bruschetta, I very much enjoy the look of gingham with a tie. Great look for events when a tie would look nice but isn't required. A summer outdoor wedding, a dinner out at a decent restaurant, a friend's dinner party.
                  I like gingham and ties, even with a suit for a more casual use of the suit.

Comment

Originally posted by bruschetta View Post
                    While greg_s does not have my class or dignity, he does possess a fantastic head of hair, and panache has to count for something.
                    I seldom wear my ornamental plume of feathers, but do appreciate a compliment from you, sir, no matter how back-handed!
                    "You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

@greg_s Funny! I had no idea panache had a second meaning.

Comment

Originally posted by Duvel View Post
                        Some brogues (wingtips) in brown and either light-tan or brown suede Clarks Desert Boots (or both colors). That'll get you through pretty much everything.
                        I agree that those would work for the outfits described above as well as just about anything else.

I like the idea of the second look. Its conservative up top, while being a little more wild on the bottom. I like mixing up conservative looks with a little color or flash. I think it is a good idea to go neutral on the top if you are going to wear those pants because you don't want to go crazy on everything.

Comment

Working...
                        X