What's the point of expensive jeans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the point of expensive jeans?

Just curious - for those of you who spend more than $40 on a pair of jeans... what added value do you get? As long as you get the right fit - which is pretty easy with Levi's, then what else matters? I don't even understand what "selvedge" means except that maybe it looks slightly cooler when you cuff the bottoms.

Im still buying my jeans from AE. Theyre comfortable, they fit fairly well, and I can buy them for around $30. I dont see a reason to change...

Comment

I can't really answer as I only own ~$40 Levi's, but I do want to own some nice jeans some day. It is my goal to own a pair of Imogene & Willie's (hopefully purchased in their store in TN). Someday when I have the income I will willingly pay a cost for US sourced materials made in the US that will likely last me for as long as I want them. I love my Levi's and they fit pretty well, but they wear out and are made in questionable conditions. That is my motivation.
      "You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

It's exact same reason people have Edward Green and G&G shoes. Quality goes up until a certain point then the increase in price is all due to details put into the jeans.

I personally have a pair of Tellason jeans and you can easily tell why they cost more. The denim is 16.5 oz heavy denim. The color and texture look better and it feels better in your hand. There's also plenty of detailing like back pockets lined with heavy canvas so you won't get things ripping through your pockets after a while of hard wear.

It's essentially like why buy goodyear welted shoes over cemented shoes.

Comment

fit and comfort I'd say are the main reasons. Levi's, AE, AF get the job done, but my hudson/joe's have the comfort of wearing sweatpants while being perfectly fitted with better color/detail. I felt exactly like you until I bought a pair and just wore it around for a month.

Comment

I got a pair of Lucky Brand jeans once, they were on sale at an outlet, so they were a steal. They are the best fitting, most comfortable, longest lasting jeans I have owned. Having said that, I still wouldn't buy them at full retail, but I have patched mine 3 times and they're still going.
            http://searchingformystyle.wordpress.com/

Comment

I've never owned a really high quality pair of selvedge jeans, but back in my early undergraduate days I bought quite a few pairs of "fashion" jeans that were definitely on the expensive side (think Sevens, AG, etc). At the time I thought they fit really well and I loved the feel of the denim compared to the less expensive brands.

Fast forward five years and now I rotate through a few pairs of 514s. Like others have mentioned, I find the fit to be all over the place (i.e., inconsistent sizing/stitching across even identically labeled pairs) and in all honesty they lose their dark, rich color after only a few washes. They're cheap and they fill the dark denim hole in my wardrobe, but I'd really need to replace them every few months to keep the same quality in appearance that I get during the first month.

Comment

Quite a few easy answers:
                Made in North America
                Last more than a year;This is why I'm completely anti gap/old navy/br
                Look better IMO
                Fabric seems softer; friend switched to 7FAMK after feeling my jeans vs his cheap ones.
                Fabric is hand dyed in Japan etc. so if you're more for keeping traditional methods alive this supports it
                Fit tends to be better
                Generally look better, levis has put a lot of effort into copying designer jeans though I'd swear some of them look identical to 7's for example except that stupid red tag poking out the side of the pocket.

If someone has some higher end jeans and cheaper ones they should post some pics of both.

My own personal grudge:

Levis is a piss off company that should redesign their website so I don't waste time picking out cheap jeans to be told they won't ship to Canada, so you're supporting the chain of stupid people reproducing

Comment

Working...
                X