Questions regarding overcoat fit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions regarding overcoat fit

I am looking for an overcoat to be worn over suits/blazers. I have three suits (navy, grey, and black). First, I am looking for a color that could be worn with at least two of them, preferably the navy and grey. Secondly, if my suit jackets measure ~19" at the shoulders (42r) what should the overcoat measure? I have called JC about two of their overcoats and the 42s measure 19.5" (the 44s measure 20" which seems better, no?), which doesn't seem like its gonna be enough room to go over a suit (or am I wrong here?). Lastly, I really like the look of double breasted overcoats, but my suits are all single breasted two button. Is this a no-no, or just a matter of preference? Any help is greatly appreciated.

http://m.jcrew.com/mt/www.jcrew.com/...~~~~/22010.jsp

http://m.jcrew.com/mt/www.jcrew.com/...~~~~/17934.jsp

These are the two that I have been looking at, and called about the measurements.
    Countryside Man of Letters

"They" say to buy an overcoat/topcoat same size as your suit coat size. Most topcoats are made with the idea in mind that you'll put it over a suit or sweater, etc., so there should be no reason to size up. But I find with J. Crew the sizes can be all over the place. I'd try it on first. It should fit well, be trim looking and feeling, snug, but not too tight.

Comment

The royal we agrees with Duvel.

Comment

Therein lies the problem. I currently live in FL and JC doesn't (maybe didnt ever have) have any to try on. I have tried on a ludlow suit jacket and did need to size up to a 44. Currently, they jackets are not marked final sale, so I make just have to bite the bullet and order one.

Any thoughts on color? Charcoal or navy, I'm guessing are the most versatile. Does anyone wear a navy topcoat with a navy suit?

Comment

I personally am fond of tan in overcoats. It would provide a nice contrast to a navy or grey suit. It would be a little more stylish, too, a little more unique. And it would still be versatile with other things.

But navy or charcoal if you just want to be safe and conservative.

Sounds to me like you'd need a Large in the J. Crew topcoat if you're a 44. If it doesn't fit, you should be able to return it and exchange it.

Comment

@Duvel-- It's not that I don't like tan overcoats, I am just trying to get one on sale before moving to the Midwest in a few months.

Comment

I'd go with camel, single breasted (which I own). If I remember correctly, you had the same question some time ago. Did ordering the same size not work out for you?

Comment

MarkB, by tan I mean camel, as zxu mentions. Is camel not a choice on sale? I don't know. I think I'd wait and see about getting something in camel later at a decent price. Just me of course. And hey, in a few months, you really won't need it, most likely, in the Midwest, especially with climate change! I'm from Iowa originally and the past couple of springs they have had very unseasonably warm temps in March and April.

Comment

italor.com

$190 and you can get it sized for you.

and you should go about 1/2 and inch bigger at the shoulders for room for suits etc.

Comment

@zxu-- When I went to order, the 42s were all gone. I called about the 44s and they measure 20" in the shoulders, which is one full inch larger than my suits. This is what prompted my question about fit in the shoulders.

@Duvel-- The camel was all sold out, by the time I came across them. I'm really looking to score a jacket now at a discount, so I'm not scrambling and paying a premium next fall/winter. Although, going from FL to IA I may need it in September.

@shadow-- Thanks. That's exactly what I was curious about. I didn't think 1/2" would be enough room to fit over a suit.

Comment

Working...
                    X