Custom (DIY) pocket square

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Custom (DIY) pocket square

I made my own pocket square, what do you think?

http://searchingformystyle.wordpress.com/

A3M0N, It resembles a cocktail napkin. Etsy has quite a few napkins that appear similar.

I like the idea, if you can work with more traditional patterns.

Comment

You can start selling them on Etsy!

But yes go for some blues, whites, etc. in basic patterns/solid first.

Comment

Not bad work. As long as you find a way to make that pattern work with your ensemble then rock it. You might be limited in the way you fold it though.

Side note, when taking close up pictures you need to use macro mode when possible.

Comment

I think the only thing that separates pocket squares from napkins are the rolled edges instead of folded edges.

Comment

I used left over fabric that my wife had, and I liked it because it was different than the traditional. I tried making a rolled edge, but it didn't work out for me on the first attempt. Maybe I'll try again next time.

Comment

A3M0N, I don't mean to discourage you. This is an excellent idea; I simply don't like the fabric.

Comment

Originally posted by bruschetta View Post
                A3M0N, I don't mean to discourage you. This is an excellent idea; I simply don't like the fabric.
                No worries! Since I started upgrading my style, I have liked pocket squares for potential for small rebellions - if that makes sense. I think the fabric just looks like fun. If it doesn't work out for me, I'll sell it on etsy as a napkin

Comment

We all have different preferences on colors and patterns. If you like the pattern go with it.

This is awesome that you posted this today! I have been purging my closet and setting aside pieces of clothing I think would make nice pocket squares. My mom was a seamstress for a fur company back in the day, and she has offered to help me with tailoring.

Let's see some other custom or homemade squares. I will post mine as they are completed.

Comment

I actually think the pattern is fun. It's going to be of limited use, but when the right time comes, you'll be super stoked about it.

I also think the idea of making pocket squares yourself is awesome. Thanks for sharing it!

Comment

I think that is a pretty fun pattern as well. I also make several of my own pocket squares and it's nice to have a few unique ones for certain occasions. It's certainly not something that I would make a staple in my pocket square rotation but I doubt having an extra with a fun pattern is going to take up too much space in your wardrobe.

Comment

While purging my closet of old and ill fitting cloths I set aside a few items to turn into pocket squares. This first one is an old button-down shirt from the Gap.

I completely took apart all of the side seams. It gave me about an extra inch of frabic for each section of shirt. Thus, making it possible to make more squares.

A close up of the first rolled hem as I work.

I am about 3/4 of the way done with this first one. I should be able to get about three squares from this one shirt. Each being different sizes to make optimal use of the fabric.
                        Last edited by JoeG; February 7, 2013, 12:04 PM.

Comment

Sam Hober has a good tutorial on rolling the edges BTW:
                          http://www.samhober.com/howtomakeapo...cketsquare.htm

Comment

@JoeG: How long did the first take from start to finish? How long would it take after you get the hang of it?

Comment

@Fred, thanks for the share. I am familiar with Sam(David) Hober. I've been researching his post on StyleForum for tidbits of info to learn from. He seems to be a genuinely nice guy who is willing to share his knowledge. I am thinking about sending him an email once I finish these squares for feed back. Maybe even get him involved over here on our threads?

@JGL, I am on my second square. I will probably get four squares out of this shirt. With each square I am trying to learn different stitching techniques. The first one took roughly a total of eight hours to stitch, plus an hour to deconstruct the shirt and layout where I would cut the squares from. That was due to me not knowing what I was doing, and watching NBA games while working. That is obviously not good time. On my next shirt I expect it to go immensely faster. From what I have read over at StyleForum many of the guys that make them (including Hober) say it should take between an hour or two. Hober stated in one post that he had an apprentice take a week on their first square making sure that every detail was perfect.

I found this video after completing my first square with a rolled hem. This is completely different and less complicated than how I did my stitching. I may try to see if it will work for making squares, help speed up my production time. I worry that it will not give me the clean rolls and hide the stitching as well as I would like.
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Dt_5vnOJ_E

Comment

Working...
                              X