Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Starting casual over...but where to start?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting casual over...but where to start?!

Ive just recently decided to remake my wardrobe, and Im sort of lost on where I should start. Would really appreciate some input from you guys! This is strictly a casual wardrobe, but Id like to be able to mix & match to dress it up a little also. Im very much a "jeans & t-shirt" kind of guy though. Loud colors really arent my thing, so I typically stick to grey, blue and brown. Wouldnt mind adding some colors in.

Shoes: Have a nice pair of black wingtips and brown loafers I really like, but thats about it. Looking at keeping it pretty cheap on the shoes to start, and was thinking a pair of GBX boots, boat shoes or something similar, and a pair of leather sandals? Any other casual shoes you could recommend? I know the brown/black leather Sketchers get mixed reviews on here, but I like their look.

Pants: Plenty of decent fitting jeans (Im a straight semi-boot fan, and AE jeans fit me great), a pair of good fitting light brown cords, some grey dress slacks, and thats it. Thinking of adding a few pairs of odd colored straight leg chinos or something similar to that?

Shorts: Just a hodge-podge of 4-5 plaid shorts and a few cargos (yes, I still like cargos!). Maybe add in some solid color non-cargo shorts?

Shirts: I've always been a logo T guy, and I'll still keep them around for gym shirts/undershirts/etc, but I just recently added a few solid color v necks. Not really sure where else to go with t-shirts from there. Button ups, I have about a dozen, but only 3 really fit well...should I get the others tailored or start from scratch? Very few polo's also. Tough to find ones that fit me well, but Im keeping my eye open.

Sweaters: Have 3, one black and two blues, and all in different styles. Anything Im missing here?

Jackets: I bought 2 suits a few years ago before I knew ANYTHING about how a suit should fit, donated the pants and kept the jackets to use as blazers with a pair of jeans and a dress shirt. Those maybe get worn once a year, so Im good there.

What would you recommend? Ive been keeping on eye on Gap's recent sales, and just signed up for Frank & Oaks emails. I appreciate any input!

You seem ok in most areas. I'd probably say add a pair of chukkas, maybe Clarks desert boots. I'd add some more buttoned shirts - most of mine are from JCrew, BR, and Frank and Oak. You should be ok in sweaters as long as they are thin ones you can use to layer over shirts. If not, grab a few of them. That's about all you really need IMO. That's most of what I have and I think myself and AcousticFoodie dress more casual than most judging by the pics in the WIWT thread.

Comment

If you're not actually remaking maybe save up and splurge on some higher end items you can layer, John Smedly V neck that DC wore in Skyfall for example. Along with buy some Henleys to replace tshirts.

If you're going to remake, focus on items you can layer, 5 v-necks and 5 shirts would give you 25 different combos for example, of course they all probably wouldn't look good.

Spend a bit of money of some raw denim maybe and give that a try, Naked and Famous are great, I did try "unbranded" but they are 32 Length, otherwise they would be great.

Comment

I would suggest maybe posting some pictures of yourself wearing some of the pieces you currently have (mainly the ones you want to keep). Where do you live? It matters alot. See inside the text my commets have the @ in front of them Good Start though

Originally posted by Tim Andrews View Post
        Ive just recently decided to remake my wardrobe, and Im sort of lost on where I should start. Would really appreciate some input from you guys! This is strictly a casual wardrobe, but Id like to be able to mix & match to dress it up a little also. Im very much a "jeans & t-shirt" kind of guy though. Loud colors really arent my thing, so I typically stick to grey, blue and brown. Wouldnt mind adding some colors in.

Shoes: Have a nice pair of black wingtips and brown loafers I really like, but thats about it. Looking at keeping it pretty cheap on the shoes to start, and was thinking a pair of GBX boots, boat shoes or something similar, and a pair of leather sandals? Any other casual shoes you could recommend? I know the brown/black leather Sketchers get mixed reviews on here, but I like their look.

@ I think a pair of sneakers would help your cause, purcells or chucks (cheaper). I loathe black shoes so if I were you I would get another pair of brown shoes, maybe a pair of bluchers in brown suede.

Pants: Plenty of decent fitting jeans (Im a straight semi-boot fan, and AE jeans fit me great), a pair of good fitting light brown cords, some grey dress slacks, and thats it. Thinking of adding a few pairs of odd colored straight leg chinos or something similar to that?

@I used to own a pair of AE jeans in straight boot cut, they were baggy on me back then and i was 5'10 190 (weight lifting days), now i am 5'10 168 (stricly cardio now), so i am not sure of you frame but i would think those to be baggy as well. I would opt for some 501's to start and then when your used to those get a more tapered jean. (This will allow for you to dress it up a little as you prefaced above)

Shorts: Just a hodge-podge of 4-5 plaid shorts and a few cargos (yes, I still like cargos!). Maybe add in some solid color non-cargo shorts?

Again, this is a matter of fit, and personally i find cargos to be baggy, you should get some shorts that hit above the knee, plaid or cargo or not and fit well.
        @
        Shirts: I've always been a logo T guy, and I'll still keep them around for gym shirts/undershirts/etc, but I just recently added a few solid color v necks. Not really sure where else to go with t-shirts from there. Button ups, I have about a dozen, but only 3 really fit well...should I get the others tailored or start from scratch? Very few polo's also. Tough to find ones that fit me well, but Im keeping my eye open.

@GOod call on the walking billboards. YOu should increase you button-up, OCBD's mainly and 1 or two nicer shirts in white and or light blue. T-shirts (i stick to white fitted vnecks for the summer, but mainly i wear polos. Target always has good polos.

Sweaters: Have 3, one black and two blues, and all in different styles. Anything Im missing here?

@post picks of the sweaters.

Jackets: I bought 2 suits a few years ago before I knew ANYTHING about how a suit should fit, donated the pants and kept the jackets to use as blazers with a pair of jeans and a dress shirt. Those maybe get worn once a year, so Im good there.

@Again fit, try the orphaned suit jackets on and post picks. It depends on the material cut and color of the jacket as to wheter or not it should be orphaned.

What would you recommend? Ive been keeping on eye on Gap's recent sales, and just signed up for Frank & Oaks emails. I appreciate any input!
        "The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
        I>0<I

Comment

Shoes:
          • Converse Jack Purcells - (canvas, in white, off-white, or grey)
          • Sperry Topsiders (or other similar boat shoe) - (leather, in probably a brown tone of some sort, depending on how casual your other brown loafers are)
          • (as Vicious advised above) Clarks (or similar) desert boot - (suede, in beige or grey)

Seeing you're trying to keep the costs down, I'd suggest browsing the clearance sections at a DSW, or hitting a local discounter like Marshalls/TJ Maxx. It's hit/miss at those joints, but you'll save a ton of dough.

Shirts:
          • IMO, you can go a long way with white and grey v-necks.
          • I recently grabbed several of Banana Republic's soft-wash (or whatever) T-shirts, in varying colors. They are on their clearance racks now, if you have one nearby to browse. They fit and feel AWESOME!
          • (as shadow mentions above) Henleys are nice T-shirt alternatives too. I wear the crap outta mine during the summer.
          • Regarding button-downs (and button-ups that don't button-down too), I would again advise you to visit BR. I have been really enjoying their soft-wash button-downs & button-ups. The shirts are super soft, yet the collars are still substantial (read: un-wimpy). My current lineup includes white, light blue, black/white gingham, and red/white gingham. Very versatile.
          • Oh, and don't forget a few polos. I have way too many, but only really wear a handful of them. Need to purge the closet soon. I'd suggest a couple in light colors, mainly for the nice weather/sun, and maybe one in navy. My faves are BR's luxe-touche and Original Penguin.

Pants:
          • I'd say add in a pair or two of neutral chinos (khaki, grey) and you're pretty set. You could go with a more colorful set, but since you're rebooting here, you might want to go a little conservative with the pants, and save the color pops for things like accessories (socks are a good choice).

Shorts:
          • I've whittled my shorts section down to 4 or 5 pair that I seemed to reach for more than any others. They are shorter than the rest (but not daisy dukes, for the love of Mike!), and are again in the more neutral range of colors (beiges, greys, black, etc). The ones I like are from Original Penguin and H&M.

Just a few thoughts. Take them as you may.

For cost purposes, as I mentioned regarding the shoes, I would try to hit some discounters (Marshalls, TJ Maxx, Ross, Burlington, etc). You will probably find the best prices there, but you may have to keep looking for the goods you really like, in your size. Not always easy there.

Other than that, H&M is pretty darn inexpensive, and get on a few email lists, for the coupons/deals. BR is a GREAT one for that. Their normal prices are nutty (IMO), but they run 40% off deals all of the time. Plus they have a pretty decent clearance section, too.

Good luck! And good idea to reboot the closet, every once in a while.

Comment

Some great ideas here! Ill post some pics shortly as well.

@Max - Right now, I live in Illinois, but Im active duty military, so basically everywhere. Ill be in Virginia in just a few months.
            @Max again - The sweaters are a black V neck, a navy shawl collar with a hood (cant even tell it has a hood. Its different and looks good), and a navy button down stand up collar.

Comment

Tim Andrews, are you at Great Lakes? I have a buddy that's stationed there.

I recommend that you create a list of outfits and items that you absolutely want. Don't go out and buy a lot of new clothing right off the bat.

Comment

Alright, heres a few pics. I was basically trying to show a little versatility here...dressed down all the way to "dressed up" while still keeping things casual.

This last pic with the jacket kind of sucks because of the light, but its a 3-button 3-season dark brown suit jacket with tan pinstripes. Length of it ends right near where my fingertips are, and its a dual vent.

@bruschetta - Yes, Im a staff member in Great Lakes. Been doing this Navy gig for almost 10 years already! Thats part of the reason I decided to change the way I dress. Im just a few years away 30, and I hold a pretty high rank...time to dress for the position Id like/my age.

Ive been checking out a lot of "The Getups" at the Primer website. Found a lot that I like on there, but I dont want to run out and buy 20 outfits, bring them home and realize theres zero versatility besides that one outfit!
                Last edited by Acousticfoodie; January 26, 2013, 04:32 PM. Reason: Fixed your pics for Ya

Comment

Just a heads up Tim, but the pictures don't seem to be working for me. Not sure if anyone else is also having difficulty seeing them.

Did you use the [IMG] http://www.theurlofyourpicture.com/shouldgohere [/IMG] format to link them (minus the extra spacing between the url and IMG tags)?

Comment

Tim, one thing you can do right now to improve, without spending any money, is get rid of the t-shirt. Don't wear a t-shirt, at least one that shows under your button-up shirt. The opening of your button-up shirt is supposed to create a downward-pointing v. It's supposed to have a streamlining, slimming visual effect. But the round collar of the t-shirt interrupts that. And it just plain looks bad--you're showing your underwear. And it doesn't matter if it's a white t-shirt or a colored one. No t-shirts. Unless you're wearing it by itself.

Suggestions so far in this thread are great for a basic wardrobe. But I would add this--have fun. Since it is just casual and it's not like you're having to buy formal attire, lighten up a little and find things that resonate with you, as they say. Find things that you dig, that maybe are a little unique compared to what others are wearing or to what you'd normally wear, and that add some sense of style. Just a thought.
                    Last edited by Duvel; January 26, 2013, 03:20 PM.

Comment

@Eric - I did use the [IMG] format, and I can get to them just fine from the thread as well.

@Duvel - I have a real tough time getting rid of the T! I usually color coordinate so it matches with the shirt Im wearing, but for these pics, I was already wearing this T (a unique and different T I might add!), and threw everything else on real quick. I definitely understand what you mean though! For a casual wardrobe, nothing needs to be stuffy! My plan to remedy this is going to be mostly through accessories and a few unique pieces that can occasionally be thrown in to break up the monotony...I have a few Goorin hats that I wear often and are WAY different than the standard baseball cap! Great input though!

Comment

Tim, I implore you--get rid of the t-shirt. It is probably the number one mistake most men make about casual dressing. Get. Rid. Of. The. T.

Comment

Would you recommend no T? a V neck?

Comment

You can get a low vneck if you're dying. Question is why do you feel the need to have a tshirt on underneath?

Just my observations for fitting/feedback on the pictures

ood length on the casual shirt

shawl collar sweater looks good, jeans i'd say get something more plain, there seems to be a lot of whiskering on those ones(the zebra stripes)

Jacket, have it taken in at the waist, shoulders might be a tad too big but really that's nitpicky

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Andrews View Post
                              Would you recommend no T? a V neck?
                              V-neck is an improvement, but most of all when you can't see the t-shirt or v-neck at all. It looks very unkempt to me. You probably don't need one at all, despite how often you've been wearing them.

I just watch Daniel Craig's Bond films when I want a style lookbook. As some have suggested, he has fantastic clothes without boldly colorful or textured looks. A great, tailored, traditional European look.

Comment

Working...
                              X