recommend leather jacket products

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

recommend leather jacket products

So I gather from various sources that I need a protective spray and a leather conditioner for my new leather jacket. Yay got the BR one 40% off. Any recommendations for products? Also, how do I strip a protective spray?

i have only used conditioner and water repellent on leather shoes, i guess it's the same type used on leather clothing, but i would hear what others say. btw is this the jacket you have? how do you like it?
    http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse...&pid=236050002

Comment

I don't think you need both spray and conditioner. Just conditioner should suffice to protect the leather and keep it water-resistant. I'm a big cheerleader for Schnee's leather conditioner, which you can buy online for something like $9. Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP is another option, though it will leave a slightly sweet, beeswaxy smell to the leather. It also takes a bit more time and effort to apply.
      Ben

Comment

Agree with BenR, no need to use two products. I would also recommend against a product that is a wax at room temperature (Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP, for example, and there are others). While they will do a great job protecting, they will leave a waxy coating on it. Great for waterproofing, but not something you want all over your jacket. Technically, you could put a really thin coat on, and ensure it soaks in, and then you won't have that waxy coating, but then why bother with the heavier duty stuff in the first place?

Comment

Originally posted by llie19 View Post
          i have only used conditioner and water repellent on leather shoes, i guess it's the same type used on leather clothing, but i would hear what others say. btw is this the jacket you have? how do you like it?
          http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse...&pid=236050002
          Yup, same one. I like it a lot and got compliments on it the first day I wore it. It is a tad bit darker than the picture online and what i wanted, almost has a burgundy tone to it. I got the small and the fit is good, I'm 5'7 145 athletic build. Smells great. Not the softest leather but still feels good and is warm. Might be too warm for the spring but we will see. It has a gold colored lining, which I think looks pretty good. It is not perfect but for around $200 and being a gift, I'm happy.

Comment

thanks. it's looks like it has great potentials. does the bottom feel a little too aggressively short to you?

Originally posted by yoondaddy View Post
            Yup, same one. I like it a lot and got compliments on it the first day I wore it. It is a tad bit darker than the picture online and what i wanted, almost has a burgundy tone to it. I got the small and the fit is good, I'm 5'7 145 athletic build. Smells great. Not the softest leather but still feels good and is warm. Might be too warm for the spring but we will see. It has a gold colored lining, which I think looks pretty good. It is not perfect but for around $200 and being a gift, I'm happy.

Comment

Working...
            X