Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Casio EF503D: Poor man's (very poor) Speedy - anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd grab one if I didn't already own a low-budget dress chrono in white (http://imgur.com/a/oZyEs#0). I might might consider it as a casual option too though with a canvas strap or the stock SS bracelet.

Comment

I don't think you'll regret the purchase of the black, it has a classic look. As a result of this thread alone I got hooked on the EF503D and clearly went overboard so I'm pretty excited to get mine soon.

For a person that wanted a really close homage to a speedy- that blue is an excellent candidate. Changing the sub-dial would be key though. If that could get changed and coupled with the second hand sweep from the Casio MRW200H-1BV (that's what I used) then that would be a clutch looking watch. (Maybe too close of an homage for most people).

I think changing sub-dials and getting them to work correctly again is tricky work(?).
      Last edited by ajk170; June 8, 2013, 06:09 PM.

Comment

Damn.

That Seiko is CLEAN. Love the SSB037 (black face). No, not as true a speedmaster homage as the Casio, but wonderful in it's own right. Angled face is great too. Now I want it in white...

Comment

The Seiko SSB037 is a nice looking watch and, in a black face, would be a good candidate to modify (since I like to modify things) if the date could be changed to black. The hands wouldn't be too much to change out. The biggest thing that makes the difference is the bezel on the Seiko- The Omega uses a different setup which produces a metal reveal around the bezel and watch face. Casio uses the same concept. Seiko changes it up and doesn't use the same concept for the bezel and uses a dauphin style min/hour hands opposed to the bayonet styles in the Casio and Omega. The Seiko definitely has a that clean face like the Omega. Seiko also adds a date dial which the Omega apparently omits on that style chrono. However, the gray faced Omega seems to have the date dial. Seiko uses a similar stye band to the Omega which really makes it stand out from the Casio. So if the date dial could be changed to black, bayonet hands added, find a suitable second hand sweep, and replace with a sapphire crystal (not necessary but since it's opened up) this would be money. Might be able to get the work done with parts for about $90 bucks (probably $40 less if the crystal is left alone). If I were to make the investment in all of this, I'd also look to have luminescent added to the Seiko since all the Amazon complaints are about the inability to see the hands and face in low-light. Not sure what that would cost though. Despite the bezel look, these mods would probably yield a closer homage than the Casio due factory bracelet.

Although, for a poor man's speedy (that's modified), a blue-faced Casio with the second-hand mod is a very close look at a very low cost.

Find a Speedmaster style bracelet that works on the Casios and then the modified blue face Casio would toe the line on replica status while the black and white face would hit that sweet spot for a modified homage since the black is stuck with the white date dial (which I actually like since it further distinguishes itself) and the white face uses a black bezel (making it distinct). Leaving the sub-dials alone on all the Casios would help keep them distinct.

Boy- I really jumped head-first into this whole mod thing!
          Last edited by ajk170; June 9, 2013, 04:13 AM.

Comment

Do you have a good example of a Speedmaster type bracelet for the Casio?

Comment

I'm on the hunt for such a beast but as of right now I do not have a good example.

Comment

Ok- here are a few shots of the last phase (hopefully)- the new Strapcode clasp with a diver's extension link... I really like the look and the strap is the same or better quality as the bracket. The extension link was the easiest and cheapest was to deal with the connection issues.

http://i1275.photobucket.com/albums/...ps25622015.jpg

http://i1275.photobucket.com/albums/...ps796d456b.jpg

Comment

So which clasp is that then? I'm very tempted.

Also, amusingly, I think the most beautiful shot of the watch is actually the last one - when it is lacking the bezel (and band). I think it might look even better without the bezel ha. Not very speedy at that point, I guess.

Comment

Margotron- it's the Amazon Strapcode Divers Clasp. Unfortunately, it's not a cheap clasp so a lot of people might be put off by the price (~$23). I tried the $5 clasps that you get from watch makers supply stores (ofrie, esslingers) and like LBD suggested in a previous post, those are cheap stamped clasps where as this bracelet is very nice for the price. However, the one in my picture is not the one in the link because the one on mine doesn't work very well with the extension clasp- meaning you can't fine tune the fit with the smaller adjustment holes. The one I linked to is the regular divers clasp without the extra latch. That will be able to work without any issues and adjust appropriately. I would return the one in the photo and go with the regular divers clasp but my divers watch has the regular style clasp (which I like) but there have been times when I've been doing something and the clasp has popped open. So the extra catch on this one is a bit of an improvement. In the last adjustment hole on the clasp the extension link works perfectly.

I agree - it is a pretty cool shot of it out the case. I really like the second-hand sweep- I got lucky by stumbling up the watch that used that hand. I just flipping through Amazon and saw it. Turns out it's styled alot like the Omega to include the lume.

http://www.amazon.com/18mm-Stainless...e+divers+clasp
                    Last edited by ajk170; June 12, 2013, 01:04 PM.

Comment

@LBD- you were right about the connection issues. The best way to handle the hole issue and make it loke professional is to get another bracelet and take the "T" link off and put it so the bracelet ends have a two(2) "T" ends if you want to do a simple clasp swap like the one from strapcode on Amazon. The way around that is to use an extension link that uses a link's center piece instead of 'T" piece.

Comment

Hirsch Duke today:

Comment

@Margo, looks good! what's the watch strap size?

Anyone know how the hirsch duke compares to crown and buckle's gator strap?

http://www.hirschstraps.com/DUKE-Lea...tch-Strap-GREY
                          http://www.crownandbuckle.com/gator-...alligator.html

they look pretty similar

Comment

20mm is the size. And own I both company's watch bands and do not believe you can go wrong with either. Find accurate pictures of both brands online and decide based on color (as they do have different offerings, even for the same "color" ie "brown")

Originally posted by nftmlk View Post
                            @Margo, looks good! what's the watch strap size?

Anyone know how the hirsch duke compares to crown and buckle's gator strap?

http://www.hirschstraps.com/DUKE-Lea...tch-Strap-GREY
                            http://www.crownandbuckle.com/gator-...alligator.html

they look pretty similar

Comment

Ok- as LBD says- "pics or it didn't happen..." That's good legal advice! I need to take a better one but here it is in use. The unbranded clasp makes it a touch better and it matches well with the rest of the bracelet. The red sub-dial stands out so it helps to ensure that it's not a replica to anybody that knows. Like many have said in here that have this EF503- it's a really great watch. I am now considering the blue one and swap the orange second hand with this white one and drop it in this case (since it has a sapphire crystal). This is only due to the me looking at a few GMTs in a black face. And here I thought I was done with watches for awhile!

http://i1275.photobucket.com/albums/...psb875e41f.jpg

Comment

Here's a couple better views of the modified EF503D ... easily one of my favorite watches thanks to you guys!

Comment

Working...
                                X