Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Casio EF503D: Poor man's (very poor) Speedy - anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So lame Amazon

I've been thinking of pulling the trigger on this watch for a few weeks now and it has been $64 on Amazon this whole time (the black dial version). Well, today, it's $79. Why does Amazon do this all the time with their watch prices? It's like watches are oil or something.

Comment

They do it with a lot of things. Prices are always fluctuating on Amazon - books, sunglasses, etc.

Comment

@ akj - The only one of those replacement buckles that looks particularly nice to me is the Strapcode one on Amazon. It actually has a machined, scissor-style closure and a decent-looking safety flip-lock. Most of the rest just look like cheap stamped metal, except for the Tong Choy, though I'm not liking the looks of the flip-lock on that one (seems like the edges might be pretty sharp). The Strapcode and the Tung Choy are the only ones that look like improvements over the stock clasp.

But, of course, it doesn't look like either of them are designed for the particular end-link style of the 503. Seems like you would need to locate an extra of the flat-ended links from the other side of the bracelet in order to make them work.

FWIW I measured the end bit of the link that attaches to the clasp and it seems to be 9mm.

If I were you, I would honestly just leave the clasp as is. It's not AMAZING but I think it's better quality than the generic stamped stuff you've linked to, flip-lock or not.

[Edit] Here's a pic:
        Last edited by LesserBlackDog; May 29, 2013, 01:12 PM.
        Ben

Comment

@lbd- thanks for the insight and pics. I've been thinking that the Amazon is the best looking option from what I've found. You keyed in on the what I think is the biggest issue, connecting to the clasp. Being just a novice at this makes it hard since I don't know all the options available to overcome the challenges on this one. I think you're right about letting the clap issue go. There are a lot of variables in this problem and even throwing money at them may not totally overcome them. I may just have to keep an eye out and see what comes along.

Once I get the finished project back I'll post pics for people's opinions on the other mods.

I found this as the donor for the 503's new second hand. It uses a Miyota movement as well so it fits with no issues. Plus the red hand on the donor should look pretty sharp. I'm having the cheap plastic lens replaced on the donor since that's the biggest compliant and probably put a black/red/olive drab NATO to Round the whole thing out. Not sure what I'll do with the donor though- don't really need another diver though this one might look pretty good.
          http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
          Last edited by ajk170; May 29, 2013, 09:19 PM.

Comment

So here is Phase I of my EF503D mod:

http://i1275.photobucket.com/albums/...ps628d9b76.jpg

The second hand sweep came from another Casio (took me awhile to find a donor that would work and look good- I think this nails it). Had I seen the white bayonet hour and minute hands from ofrie.com sooner, I may have changed those out too but I like the white/chrome/red look.

As I mentioned before- there is no white on black date dial so the white works. I looked at doing a complete movement swap out for a Seiko but that got too complicated.

Up Next:
            Phase II-
            Sapphire crystal (FYI the EF503D uses a 31.5x2.5mm crystal) ...
            Last edited by ajk170; June 1, 2013, 01:04 PM.

Comment

So for those that want to know what the Casio EF503D-1AV looks like with a different second-hand sweep and a sapphire crystal (not like you can really see that part of it though)

http://i1275.photobucket.com/albums/...ps1e2e0635.jpg

The last phase: The clasp... this might not go so well since that are a lot of issues with this one- we'll see how it turns out ...
              Last edited by ajk170; June 5, 2013, 09:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ajk170 View Post
                So for those that want to know what the Casio EF503D-1AV looks like with a different second-hand sweep and a sapphire crystal (not like you can really see that part of it though)

The last phase: The clasp... this might not go so well since that are a lot of issues with this one- we'll see how it turns out ...
                looks great! I like that second hand.

Comment

@drocpsu- Thanks, I knew when I first saw the EF503 that the red second hand was too much red for my taste- though it does remind me of a TAG Heuer. But I figured a different colored sweep would look better. Turns out that finding a sweep that would work wasn't as easy as I thought- there's a lot to it and the aftermarket isn't as prevalent as I thought either. The one part that I couldn't find was a white on black date dial that would work for the Miyota 01S0 movement. Apparently Citizen doesn't seem to make one for it. I did buy an additional movement so if and when the original one dies, I have another at the ready. Not sure how long these things stay in production and after investing into this, I can't very well throw it way. I can say, you really have to like what it is because a person can quickly double the cost of the watch if you don't know a watchmaker or do the work yourself. I went through a small shop called North East Watch Works where Duarte only specializes in Seiko mods but basically did this as a special project for me. He's done a FANTASTIC job and his communication and rates couldn't be any better. He doesn't take unsolicited work but if you can get him, you won't regret it.

I learned a lot about watch mods through this process and a lot about the EF503.
                  Last edited by ajk170; June 6, 2013, 12:13 AM.

Comment

I'm thinking of picking up this watch to fill a hole in my (very small) watch collection. I need something to wear with daily with black shoes/belt in dress casual and casual situations, and a suit in a pinch. Basically a versatile black watch that is nicer than the timex weekender with the black face I have now, which is very casual. I wasn't planning on swapping out the band.

With that info, which color face would you recommend? I like them both, but I'm leaning toward the black, thinking the white may be too washed out.

Comment

I'm a big fan of the blue, myself.

Ben

Comment

I think the black face with the red hands is a pretty striking look- I'm a big fan of that look. I think there's a good Pic of LesserBlack dog and Margotron sporting the two separate watch faces.

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                          I'm a big fan of the blue, myself.
                          Interesting...I wouldn't have thought that would work well with black. I never know what to do with blue watches. What's the rule on that?

Comment

No real rule about it. Blue is less conventional than black, but still generally regarded as a neutral in terms of watch dial colors. You can keep it on the bracelet or wear it on black leather, and it should go fine with black shoes/belt.

Blue dial and black leather is an underrated combo and can be quite stunning, IMO.

You really can't go wrong with any of the color variations, though. The darker dials provide a bit more contrast, so they are easier to read than the white, but other than that, I think they are all equally good in their own ways.
                            Ben

Comment

Wow- I didn't look at the blue version of the EF503 but if one really wanted a closer homage to the Speedmaster than the blue with the second hand sweep like I did on mine would be a great deal since the date dial is black on white. If sub hands could be changed out it would be a tough call. The blue is a very good look too... I'm almost a little disappointed that I didn't look at the Blue closer since I already have a black faced chrono that my casio now competes with...

Casio Blue
                              http://www.amazon.com/Casio-Mens-Edi...s=Casio+EF503D

Omega Blue
                              http://www.amazon.com/Omega-3212-80-...ga+Speedmaster

Modified Casio (Black Dial)

Although many wouldn't want something that close to a Speedy and it really is no longer a poor man's Speedy after all that work.
                              Last edited by ajk170; June 7, 2013, 02:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                                No real rule about it. Blue is less conventional than black, but still generally regarded as a neutral in terms of watch dial colors. You can keep it on the bracelet or wear it on black leather, and it should go fine with black shoes/belt.

Blue dial and black leather is an underrated combo and can be quite stunning, IMO.

You really can't go wrong with any of the color variations, though. The darker dials provide a bit more contrast, so they are easier to read than the white, but other than that, I think they are all equally good in their own ways.
                                Thanks to both of you for the feedback. I went with the black, since I'm criminally conservative.

I did just buy the recently featured Mercanti Wingtip Oxfords in gray with the red laces, so hey, I'm slowly branching out. ;-)

Comment

Working...
                                X