Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Casio EF503D: Poor man's (very poor) Speedy - anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    Much quieter. Timex makes notoriously loud watches.
    That's great news. I will definitely be thinking about getting one of these.

Comment

Wow, these are pretty nice looking watches. I really like the look of both, including the white face/blue hands one. Can anyone comment on how these would look with a NATO strap or something other than the steel band?

Comment

I can't comment on how they look with a Nato or leather strap but I looked at the Omega's that have leather straps to get and idea of what it might look like. I think the Speedmaster looks ok on something other than a steel bracelet. I will say that I can't live with the red second's hand on the Casio so I'm sending it out to get modified with a white or something other than red. Depending on the recommendation from the shop that's doing it- I might do a red tip to keep some balance with the red sub-dail. I'd change that too but apparently sub-dials can't be changed. I'm not trying to make a Speedmaster clone but the black-faced Casio will look a lot better with a different colored seconds hand.

Comment

Since it's hard to find this information on the web- the EF500D-1AV uses a Miyota 0S10 movement (a Citizen built Japanese movement). It can be had for about $35 (www.esslinger.com) in the event your movement dies and you want to replace it. Apparently, Citizen doesn't make a white on black date dial that fits this movement. I think I found a Casio second hand that will work to replace the red second hand. I'll know more once the other Casio comes in. Sub-dials can't be changed so the red sub-dial stays which I think will make it look distinct. And I Added the sapphire crystal to it - which is much cheaper than I originally thought. Although this isn't an expensive watch by any means, I really like the look and see it in the same light as a suit- I needed to dial it in for the custom fit. Hopefully it turns out as good as I imagine it.
          Last edited by ajk170; May 23, 2013, 11:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ajk170 View Post
            Since it's hard to find this information on the web- the EF500D-1AV uses a Miyota 0S10 movement (a Citizen built Japanese movement). It can be had for about $35 (www.esslinger.com) in the event your movement dies and you want to replace it. Apparently, Citizen doesn't make a white on black date dial that fits this movement. I think I found a Casio second hand that will work to replace the red second hand. I'll know more once the other Casio comes in. Sub-dials can't be changed so the red sub-dial stays which I think will make it look distinct. And I Added the sapphire crystal to it - which is much cheaper than I originally thought. Although this isn't an expensive watch by any means, I really like the look and see it in the same light as a suit- I needed to dial it in for the custom fit. Hopefully it turns out as good as I imagine it.
            Correction- I meant to say EF503D-1V uses the Miyota 0S10...

Comment

I took a look at some of the pictures of the EF503D on Watchuseek. The white faced version of this watch is highly attractive, but I can't get over the brand name. I realize that this makes me a brand snob on some level, but I would purchase the watch if it was sold under Citizen or Seiko's brand.

Comment

Originally posted by bruschetta View Post
                I took a look at some of the pictures of the EF503D on Watchuseek. The white faced version of this watch is highly attractive, but I can't get over the brand name. I realize that this makes me a brand snob on some level, but I would purchase the watch if it was sold under Citizen or Seiko's brand.
                Funny you should say that... I've found that I've developed a completely irrational brand aversion toward Seiko, but I am totally happy to wear a Casio on my wrist. If it makes you feel any better, the dial of this particular watch (the Casio) is so busy and the text so small that someone would have to be looking REALLY closely at your wrist to see the brand name.

Casio seems to have dealt with this consumer hangup by featuring the "Edifice" branding much more prominently on the more expensive Edifice models.
                Ben

Comment

I love my 503, plain and simple. Great, great piece. It started as a beater that pairs with anything but has slowly but surely became a very regular (and surprisingly sophisticated) piece in my arsenal. Crazy versatile. Also reminded me that steel straps have their place. I have 'nicer' watches that get less wear, certainly.

Ben - I love the blue face too but just can't seem to get my blue faced watches in rotation often enough. Maybe I should wear more white.

Comment

I have the same hangup, and I know the reason for my hangup at least is that all the Casios I've owned have been junk. Of course they were $20 watches, they were never supposed to be anything but junk. So I know logically that their higher end watches may well be high quality, but in my mind Casio means $20 watches that look tacky and don't last, and when I see that name on there, I can't help but make that association even on an admittedly nice looking watch with what I know to be a well made movement. I guess that's how branding works.

Comment

Originally posted by mattface View Post
                      I have the same hangup, and I know the reason for my hangup at least is that all the Casios I've owned have been junk. Of course they were $20 watches, they were never supposed to be anything but junk. So I know logically that their higher end watches may well be high quality, but in my mind Casio means $20 watches that look tacky and don't last, and when I see that name on there, I can't help but make that association even on an admittedly nice looking watch with what I know to be a well made movement. I guess that's how branding works.
                      I was the same way about Casio until I saw the look of this watch (thanks to Margotron and LBD for advocating it!). And the real surprise is that it's really a Citizen watch since the Edifaces use the Miyota (Citizen's movements). I can't claim to be a watch aficionado, I've just learned a lot since my mod. So I'm very happy knowing the movement isn't a junk movement that will break in a year.

I have considered replacing the band with a Hadley Roma safety clasp style but from what LBD has said previously, the band is very nice for the cost.
                      Last edited by ajk170; May 25, 2013, 12:00 AM.

Comment

My wife will say I'm a brand snob, but I've broken that mold since discovering this site and others like it. I am relieved to have learned that this watch is basically a Citizen since it uses their Miyota 01S0 movement (a replacement is about $35 bucks). Apparently it's a solid movement. I'm considering changing the clasp to a safety style clasp (about $4 bucks) since I like that look. The residual is it would de-badge it further.

I'm excited to see the end result- I think it has the potential to be more than an occasional wear if it comes out like I hope.

Comment

I looked at those photos as well and really started to like the look of this watch. I was a little on the fence because it is a Casio, but I think I've gotten over that at this point. That will probably be the watch I go with. I'll most likely change the band out for something different as well, just for the sake of having a watch with something other than a metal band.

Comment

Originally posted by ajk170 View Post
                            My wife will say I'm a brand snob, but I've broken that mold since discovering this site and others like it. I am relieved to have learned that this watch is basically a Citizen since it uses their Miyota 01S0 movement (a replacement is about $35 bucks). Apparently it's a solid movement. I'm considering changing the clasp to a safety style clasp (about $4 bucks) since I like that look. The residual is it would de-badge it further.

I'm excited to see the end result- I think it has the potential to be more than an occasional wear if it comes out like I hope.
                            can you link the clasp you are talking about? I would love to customize this guy a little bit

Comment

I'm told I need an 18mm by 10mm clasp- but I'm finding that to be a really hard ratio to find. Although the band appears to be a 20mm, the clasp is 18mm but normal replacements seems to come in 18x9mm. Part of me hopes my information is incorrect - here's what I have so far -an extender maybe needed as well to work correctly (similar to my Tag) The deloach (and esslinger too though its not specified) looks like it would need to be ground/filed open from 9mm to 10mm. The others look like they use a more generic approach.

http://www.ofrei.com/page477.html

http://deloachwatchservice.com/repai...ls/900-400.htm

http://www.jewelerssupplies.com/product7545.html

http://www.esslinger.com/stainless-s...and-clasp.aspx

http://www.tungchoywatch.com/product...oducts_id/1465. This one is $20 for what looks like a similar clasp.

Here's the one suggested by the shop that's doing my mod-
                              http://storefront.julesborel.com:808...t_item=185-264

If i were to attempt to change the band - Here's what I'd try ...
                              http://deloachwatchservice.com/watch...ils/1808wc.htm
                              Last edited by ajk170; May 26, 2013, 05:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Margotron View Post
                                can you link the clasp you are talking about? I would love to customize this guy a little bit
                                @Margotron- I think the jewlerssupplies/Amazon are the easiest options for install. jewlers suppliers is the cheapest (shipping still puts it at $20 bucks). Neither require any modification and use a generic concept to connect to the band - you can see in their respective photos the clasp doesn't use a size specific notched concept for the male end of the band to connect. The only consideration is the diameter of the pin that the clasp uses and if it would be stiff enough to not bend since it's not reinforced by the clasp. The other end of the band should be able to connect using the stock connection. Amazon seems to look the better than jewlerssupplies

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A1R0NH145QNETW

It would be great if you have a snap shot of both ends of the stock bracelet connection. I'm reconsidering if an extension is even needed.
                                Last edited by ajk170; May 26, 2013, 07:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X