Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Casio EF503D: Poor man's (very poor) Speedy - anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Soleful Strut View Post
    I am pleased for your patronage devastitis. May it exceed your expectations.
    Damn it, and here I am with this spare firstborn child I was hoping to swap for a white faced EF-503-7A. Oh well.

Comment

I've had mine for a while now, but still in the honeymoon phase with it.

Replaced the red hands, swapped in a sapphire crystal, and changed out the strap (I'll echo the complaints there!!!)

Comment

Originally posted by StogieNinja View Post

Replaced the red hands, swapped in a sapphire crystal, and changed out the strap (I'll echo the complaints there!!!)

Dang where'd you buy the parts? I'd wear mine a heckuva lot more if it looked like that.

Comment

Casio EF503D: Poor man's (very poor) Speedy - anyone?

Originally posted by devastitis View Post
          Dang where'd you buy the parts? I'd wear mine a heckuva lot more if it looked like that.
          I got the silver sundial hand from a donor which I later sold, and a silver second hand and the sapphire crystal from ofrei.

The crystal is a SP315x2.5, Ofrei's Part #ZSGT2.5. Its .25 thicker than the stock but it works great and I actually like the ever-so-slightly raised edge.

The second hand is a .17x13.5mm silver hand that was trimmed to length.
          Last edited by StogieNinja; April 18, 2017, 09:06 PM.

Comment

What strap is this?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Comment

This is awesome. Only like 2 days ago I was trying to dig up info about modding his watch to make it more monochromatic (more speedy-like). Do you have any more info about the donor watch the hand came from? Also, is the crystal domed or flat? Id love to know more! How much do you the watch cost you in total, after all mods? Also, did you do it yourself or take it somewhere to get the work done?
              Last edited by drocpsu; April 18, 2017, 11:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mah View Post
                What strap is this?
                It's a Hirsch Duke.

Originally posted by drocpsu View Post
                This is awesome. Only like 2 days ago I was trying to dig up info about modding his watch to make it more monochromatic (more speedy-like). Do you have any more info about the donor watch the hand came from? Also, is the crystal domed or flat? Id love to know more! How much do you the watch cost you in total, after all mods?
                Donor watch was a second EF503. Crystal is flat, I didn't want a domed crystal on this one.

I don't remember the overall cost and some of it was helped by selling the donor watch. I think I recall the figure being like $100 all in for the parts after I sold the donor watch.

Comment

It's a Hirsch Duke.

Donor watch was a second EF503. Crystal is flat, I didn't want a domed crystal on this one.

I don't remember the overall cost and some of it was helped by selling the donor watch. I think I recall the figure being like $100 all in for the parts after I sold the donor watch.
                  Thanks for the info. It seems like the new EF503 has white, "speedy-style" subhands, which could make for some great replacements (see below). Unfortunately only 2 are white, which is annoying. It's a cheap donor watch though! I'd hope that the stems are the same size as our watches, so that the hands would swap over. I wonder if the chrono hand could be painted full white as well, as opposed to black/blue/white.

Did you do the work yourself, or take it somewhere?

Last edited by drocpsu; April 18, 2017, 11:50 PM.

Comment

I had a watchmaker do the work. I'm useless at that kind of thing.

That new Ef503 lacks a date, I'd be surprised if they didn't use a different, cheaper movement. The subdial hands may have different size holes...

Comment

FYI that other watch is the EF305 that's been out for ages... NOT a new EF503.

The watches use different movements. The 305 is not a chronograph, but a multifunction watch whose subdials display the day, date, and 24 hour time.
                      Ben

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                        FYI that other watch is the EF305 that's been out for ages... NOT a new EF503.

The watches use different movements. The 305 is not a chronograph, but a multifunction watch whose subdials display the day, date, and 24 hour time.
                        Ah, you're right! I hadnt noticed that. I must have mistyped that number when I googled it, so I figured it was some newer, (though inferior), version or something. Thanks for the clarification. I still think those straight, white sub-dial hands would look great on the 503 though.

Comment

I am letting my white ef503 go after much consideration. I dont wear it much these days and have only been holding on to it because they are so hard to find. I currently have too many watches and want to make some room for an upcoming pre-order so when someone on another forum PMed me with a solid offer for it, I had to take it. This was one of the first watches I went out specifically hunting for so I am a little bummed to see it go but I think it was time.

Comment

Wow [MENTION=12021]idvsego[/MENTION] I'm a little speechless over here. Having said that, I am in pretty much the same boat as you. I too have the white ef503 and I quite like the watch. But it is not seeing much action these days...Although I did wear it on the weekend. The watch is hard to find, so I do like having it in my collection, even if it doesn't see much wrist time.

So. Are you downsizing your watch collection with an eye to picking up one special watch to you? Or are you just trimming down the collection because enough is enough?

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post

So. Are you downsizing your watch collection with an eye to picking up one special watch to you? Or are you just trimming down the collection because enough is enough?
                              Well, I had a bunch of mod projects in progress and finally decided to do whatever it took too finish them. Now that they are all done I have too many watches. Plus I have been pining over an Eterna Kontiki "Date" if I can find the right variant at the right price. And there is a microbrand preorder that I am getting in on for sure.

http://www.janistrading.com/blog/a-s...lray-part-two/

Plus I placed on order for an M&P Shield 9mm, have a tattoo consultation tomorrow, and am going to Costa Rica in 2 weeks...so lets just say I have other places the money could be used other than my watch box. There will be some postings in the FS threads soon.

Comment

wow! Very surprising!

Comment

Working...
                                X