Seller's remorse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seller's remorse

We've all heard of buyer's remorse, but what about seller's remorse? I work in a retail sales job and I have customers come in who want to buy something I know is ugly and won't look good on them or anyone. It could be a pair of black, square-toed slip-ons or an ugly blazer. Its my job to sell it to them though and I want the commission of course. I try to direct them to better looking things but they still want the ugly thing. Has anyone else here worked in retail and experienced this?

I've worked in retail before, but not clothing retail. (I worked at a convenience store/gas station in high school, and then in the housewares department of a big box store one summer in college.)

From a slightly different "seller's remorse" angle: I've sold ("flipped") my share of clothing and watches. I can honestly say I only regret one sale I ever made - my Seiko white Mini Monster. But I obviously don't miss is THAT much... I've seen it for sale at a reasonable price several times since, and never felt tempted to buy it again.

Ben

Comment

Oh all the time. I worked in a jewelry store for years and struggled with this literally every day. I often got repremanded for not selling aggressively enough. I had a strict personal policy though of never bullying people into buying something they didn't really want and actively dissuading them from buying pieces that I knew to be poorly made. As a result I always had some of the lowest daily sales figures. Of course, I always had the least number of returns and once you subtracted the returns and repairs at the end of the month I would end up at the top of the list.

Sadly basic math never convinced management of much...

Comment

As long as you're not pushing them into something they didn't originally want then you shouldn't feel bad. Everyone has their own style and you have to respect that regardless of how ugly it may look.

Comment

Originally posted by sanjaygolf View Post
          As long as you're not pushing them into something they didn't originally want then you shouldn't feel bad. Everyone has their own style and you have to respect that regardless of how ugly it may look.
          I work in retail and have seen it many times. I see some top selling items that I wouldn't want near me. People like what they like, and it is near impossible to change someones style choices in the 15 minutes you are interacting with them when selling them a pair of shoes.

I think you are doing the customer a service of showing them the more stylish options, but when it comes down to it, John Q Public is going to buy the item he wants.

Comment

Working...
          X