Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gray or Navy Peacoat...which is more versatile?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gray or Navy Peacoat...which is more versatile?

Hi everyone -

First time poster but I've been visiting the forum daily since it started.

So here's my dilemna...I'd like to buy the Jcrew Baywater peacoat, but I can't decide on a color. Is gray or navy more versatile (generally speaking)? I know it depends on my personal wardrobe, but i'd still like to hear what you guys think.

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/o...7195/87195.jsp

thanks for the help!

Both are probably equally versatile, as both pair well with brown and black leather accessories and with jackets and pants of almost any color. As a practical matter, I prefer grey (particularly heather grey) because it doesn't show quite so obviously when it picks up dust, lint, hair, etc. It stays looking cleaner for longer than a solid navy or black.

Ben

Comment

As you mentioned, it depends on what you already have. But, since you asked, my vote is for gray because I think it is slightly more versatile. IMO:

Navy Coat Pairings:

Pants: gray, tan, navy (non-matching shade)

Shirts/Ties/Sweaters: almost all colors including gold, maybe not black or blue-green combos (teal)

Gray Coat Pairings:

Pants: brown, black, navy, gray (non-matching shade)

Shirts/Ties/Sweaters: almost all colors including black, maybe not gold (although yellow works)

Both can be worn with brown, black, and burgundy shoes, although I think gray has the edge here too.

EDIT: Good point BenR, also agree on gray being easier to keep clean.

My Measurements: 6' 1" height, 35" sleeves, 41-42" chest/jacket, 35" waist, 34" inseam, 11.5D/EEE shoes, 200 lbs

Comment

Welcome Guata, I agree with BenR, all three choices on the site are equally versatile, and those peacoats look very well fitting...I personally really like the charcoal one becasue of the little strap at the neck, it adds character IMO.

I own a black one i got at H&M on black friday 2 yrs ago and i get alot of comps on its fit, and its my goto for the winter up to about 10 degrees out...

"The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
        I>0<I

Comment

VOTE: navy

As everyone said, they're probably equally versatile, depending on your closet. Something else to think about: Navy may stand out in a crowd a little bit more, depending on where you live. I think I'd get navy simply on the basis that I already have so many black / gray coats.

Comment

Not to hijack your thread but MaxMan you mentioned your peacoat is the goto for subfreezing temps. Here on the sunny California coast, we don't usually don't see anything less than 40 degrees during the day. Seems like they are really built for harsh weather?

Comment

Pea coats can be really great for most of the winter, but if you live in a really harsh winter environment (Minnesota), they just don't cut it by January. Even the heavy duty ones. When it is -20 not including windchill, function must take precedent over form and one needs a parka or heavy Columbia ski coat.

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

@tuna, o not subfreezing, up to +10 degrees, anything after that i go to the columbia therma ski jacket. but the wool peacoat is def functional for cold weather basically why it was created by the British or american Navy i forget which one, but it was designed to withstand severe cold, not minnesota igloo weather though...

"The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
                I>0<I

Comment

On the topic of overcoats, what is an ideal length for you guys? Knee-length or mid-shins long enough? Asking because I saw a nice 90% wool/10% cashmere Harry Rosen navy overcoat at my local thrift; it's up to the middle of my shins.

Comment

My ideal overcoat length is somewhere between mid-thigh and knee. Mid-shin will look like it's swallowing you up. That said, I recently acquired a vintage trench coat that hits mid-shin. I'm planning on getting it tailored to knee-length so that it doesn't make me look short and stumpy.

Ben

Comment

Working...
                    X