No announcement yet.

Baseball cap alternatives for tall guy with oval face

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just to throw my 2 cents in. I think flat caps and newsboys are a good alternative to baseball caps. I bought my first one a few months ago and it pretty much can handle any situation short of wearing a suit.

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
      Let's just say if you tried to wear 85% of the stuff Bond wears (tailored suits, midnight blue dinner jackets, tiny swim trunks, Barbour jacket with scarf), you would look completely "out of place" amongst (or at least, completely different than) 95% of American men.

And Bond isn't exactly spot-on about his style being appropriate to his context. For example, it's hard to imagine someone "blending in" in Istanbul wearing this light grey suit and black chukka combo.

What I'm saying is, yes, hats are statement pieces, but being stylish in general also makes a statement. If you dress well as an American man, there is no avoiding the fact that you are going to draw some attention (wanted and unwanted).
      Stylish is a statement I have no hesitations with. I gave the example myself that it isn't a matter of whether 95% of American men are markedly casual and often sloppy (as is the case here at my university). That top 5% that dress well normalizes things like nice sweaters and suits and there is especially a norm among the people you see in that 5%. I have trouble imagining Bond is the only one who dresses the way he does, even if he does it best. A suit while working and prowling anywhere, or even while shopping at department stores, seems totally fine to me. If I saw a man in a good suit on the streets in any city, I wouldn't be fazed by it. The average guy might be, but I, who is among those that pay attention enough to this sort of thing, would see it as one of the better looking styles in the category of 'top 5% of style' in the daily population.

But take that picture and put a fedora on Bond and I'd assume something curiously different is going on in the scene outside the usual...
      Last edited by Cannon; January 22, 2013, 02:10 PM.

Comment

Wow, some great posts on here! I do indeed like the look of those J. Crew baseball caps, Archival Clothing has a similar one I was also considering. Maybe it's just the fact that my existing baseball caps are too floppy and I simply need to find one that looks better.

Comment

While Ive come to realize that while driving caps may look great in GQ they can be awfully hard in the real world, kinda like the sneaker with suits thing they do. It works in the magazine but in the real world is just off.

That being said however If the driving cap looks good on your face and body then rock it, just try to avoid looking like the goon on st. patty's day wearing it. I would just recommend going to a store with some time and trying different hats on and seeing what works and doesnt

Comment

A linen option is the same vein: http://idealcapco.com/FCLN4001X.html

I don't own anything from this company, so I can't vouch for them, but I learned about them through Put This On.

Comment

Originally posted by s_crane View Post
              While Ive come to realize that while driving caps may look great in GQ they can be awfully hard in the real world, kinda like the sneaker with suits thing they do. It works in the magazine but in the real world is just off.

That being said however If the driving cap looks good on your face and body then rock it, just try to avoid looking like the goon on st. patty's day wearing it. I would just recommend going to a store with some time and trying different hats on and seeing what works and doesnt
              Indeed. Hence my earlier admonition that it's a trial and error process. My best advice is to go to a store with a decent selection and a lot of mirrors. Bring someone you trust to tell you if you look like a donkey. Try on a lot of hats, look with a critical eye, listen to your friend and ignore the sales people. You'll either find something that works or you won't. You may even discover that you just don't look good in that kind of hat - much the way I have discovered over the years that I do not look good in a baseball cap.

Comment

I have a driving cap I purchased on clearance from BR. I've never worn it because I think it looks weird on me but my wife just saw me trying it on and thought it looked really good. I think it's just a mental thing for most guys that is hard for us to get past.
                Last edited by Vicious49; January 22, 2013, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Good luck catching Prof. Moriarty. I'll stick with my baseball cap.

Comment

Originally posted by Shomas View Post
                    You'll either find something that works or you won't. You may even discover that you just don't look good in that kind of hat - much the way I have discovered over the years that I do not look good in a baseball cap.
                    I've tried numerous driving caps, and have only found one thus far that seemed to *work* for me; a particular model from Original Penguin. Problem was it was too damn tight - gave me a headache pretty quickly.

Other offerings from OP and other brands usually look weird on me, to me. I wish they didn't because I like the look, on most other folks.

Comment

What do people use for hiking / traveling when you're out in the sun a lot?

I burn like crazy. My last trip I just picked up a really cheap $5 khaki colored baseball cap. Not really a big fan of all those safari looking hats.

Comment

Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
                        I have a driving cap I purchased on clearance from BR. I've never worn it because I think it looks weird on me but my wife just saw me trying it on and thought it looked really good. I think it's just a mental thing for most guys that is hard for us to get past.
                        The BR ones looked really bad on me. Seemingly too wide and stiff. Man, that sounds just plain wrong.

Anyway, I'm still on the look-out for one that looks good on my dome.

Until then, I usually opt for a Cooperstown throwback (DET) Tiger's cap.

Oh, and I just snagged the H&M "A" baseball cap the other day, clearanced for $2.50.

Of course those last two don't fit the baseball cap *alternatives*.

Comment

Still on the baseball cap tip - sorry - but one of the *nicer* options, IMO: I've been wanting to snag the Woolrich oil cloth one. Might have to do that soon.

http://www.woolrich.com/woolrich/bro...gory=cat420002

Comment

I come from a long line of skin cancer-prone people, so when I'm going to be outdoors in the warm sunny months, I wear this:

This pic is a few years old, but the lid's still going strong.

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                              I really like my Stormy Kromer, though it's definitely more of a winter hat, and not very dressy.
                              Originally posted by zerostyle View Post
                              What do people use for hiking / traveling when you're out in the sun a lot?

I burn like crazy. My last trip I just picked up a really cheap $5 khaki colored baseball cap. Not really a big fan of all those safari looking hats.
                              Enter the *Sunny* Kromer.
                              http://www.stormykromer.com/mens/caps/sunny-kromer

Hmmn.... don't think I could pull that one off with much confidence. But hey, better than scalding your head and neck, I guess.

Comment

Working...
                              X