Are Suit Pants Tighter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are Suit Pants Tighter?

Had our second child lately; while I didn't birth him myself, I've undoubtedly gained a few pounds over the past couple of years due to a more sedentary (re: with the kids all the time) lifestyle.

I have been hunting for a new suit, but have noticed that suit pants seem to be tighter? Typically, I wear a 42 jacket and 34-30 pants. I've bought five or six pairs of jeans, chinos, cords and dress pants in the last little while and they all fit well. However, the suit pants in 34-30 seperates are suffocating my cylindrical figure.

Question being: is there a difference in sizing between suit pants and other pants? I've noticed that pants with the double thing with two hapses are particularly binding.I don't want to go around looking like Stay Puffed in hotpants.

I had to size up to a 38W before my suit pants would fasten, and I'm usually 34 or 36. If you mean tight around the thighs I wouldn't know; I've got relatively small thighs so I'm always looking for pants with a tighter fit there.

Comment

There just uber-tight in the waist. Legs are fine. It becomes a bit of a nightmare ordering a suit online.

Comment

I thought, generally speaking, that suit pants aren't vanity sized and that suit pants run -6 to jacket size. So if you're in a 42 jacket, you'll typically be in a 36 pant.

I just don't know if this holds true everywhere (which is why I haven't bought a suit online).

Comment

I think it has a lot to do with the maker. The higher end the maker the more you'll have to size up. I wear a 32 in Gap, 34 in Banana Republic and Bonobos, and 36 in Brooks Brothers and the Hickey Freeman pants that came with the suit I just got. Maybe you're just looking at nicer suits than your normal pants?

Comment

It may also have to do with the of the pants. Some brands of suits have a really high rise, intending to sit right below the belly button. Most jeans and chinos are meant to be worn at the hips. Hence, suit pants will fit tighter.

While I am a 38 chest, 29/30 waist. I tend to get 32 waist suit pants, and spend the little extra money to have the waist brought in, so I can have them fit how I want

Comment

Working...
            X