Shoe laces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shoe laces

What do y'all think of that? I saw an article on Primer* suggesting putting leather laces in canvas shoes to give 'em new life. Couldn't find anything leather at the local Target (well, nothing I liked), but did find these and thought they'd be fun. Opinions? I'm starting to realize it's another element of style I can directly and easily control--so why neglect it?

Any examples of interesting approaches to lacing to share?

*Link to the article: http://www.primermagazine.com/2010/s...e-canvas-shoes

I like it a lot. If I had canvass shoes I'd rock it. Makes them look expensive IMO. Brown is a great choice too.

No interesting lacing examples on my end; I've only replaced the traditional wide cotton "work boot" laces in boots with the thin waxed kind to dress them up. I'd be interested in what others have done too.

My Measurements: 6' 1" height, 35" sleeves, 41-42" chest/jacket, 35" waist, 34" inseam, 11.5D/EEE shoes, 200 lbs

Comment

LOL, i have the same exact pair of LEC's got em for 13 bucks, i haggled with the lady at Sears...I also have the same laces, Primer actually stole the look from the guy that runs that blog anafforadablewardrobe, he had that post like 4 yrs ago... but i used the leather laces. I like the look its def a dfferentiator for the boring white laces...I used this lacing method from ians website

"The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
      I>0<I

Comment

Thought about doing that, but these are my dirty no-one-cares shoes, thought the bar might seem out of place. I do have one pair I did up that way, from Bonobos:

I never know what to do with the compliments I get while wearing these.

Comment

Great post! I have a pair of beat up old Thom McAnn longwings that are a kind of reddish brown with a lot of character that I thrifted years ago and just rejuvenated with Lexol and Meltonian polish a couple weeks ago... They need some laces, then I was thinking of making them my weekend kick around shoes. I was thinking maybe red. Thoughts?

Comment

got pics of the wheels JC?

"The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
            I>0<I

Comment

I'll try to take some when I get home tonight

Comment

Like the top one, leather ones look great too. Like Jason's idea of colored laces on some longwings. Red would be cool and subtle, think you could probably pull off something else like a those light blue that Mag posted. Anyone have any great sources for cheap/solid laces, especially colored round laces rather than flat?

Comment

lots of colors here, cheap:

http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/shoelaces.php

and pricer dress laces here:

http://www.hookandalbert.com//dress-...ok-CID269.aspx

Comment

I immediately tried it out as soon as I read that article months ago. I liked the look on my Converse All-Stars.

The wife didn't

Comment

I've never paid much attention to my shoe laces. Maybe I will in the future. I'm waiting on the arrival of some eBay-ed brown Allen Edmonds which means my current pseudo-dressy brown leather shoes are free to look a little unconventional. Maybe some blue shoelaces. Blue could look good with my Earthkeeper boots as well.

My Jack Purcells are a dusty red, so a little bit louder than your standard grey or off-white sneaker. I saw that leather shoelace article but thought the leather shoelace combined with the red color might make them a little obnoxious.

Ben

Comment

Here's the longwings I want to add some colorful shoelaces to:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1139457...97878336796578

https://picasaweb.google.com/1139457...97855498272882

Comment

I have some navy colored tennis shoes, plimsolls actually. I put some light brown/tan laces on them and I think the color goes much better than with just standard white laces. I think its a pretty easy way too add a pop of color or texture to something that is usually just one solid color.

Comment

Jason, definitely would dig either Columbia blue (halfway between royal and carolina blue) or violet or lavender.

Ben, would think dusty Purcells being a muted version of red would look awesome with a pair of leather laces, especially if they were more of a single tone of leather, unlike the linked article where the sidecut is different.

Had been meaning to swap my laces out on a bunch of shoes, esp some wings and desert boots and now you guys got me amped to do it this weekend.

Comment

@andrew7 J.Crew has the desert boot laces pretty cheap in some nice colors... http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/accessories/necessaryluxuries/PRDOVR~37537/99102249514/ENE~1+2+3+22+4294967294+20~~~20+16+4294967152~15~~ ~~~~~/37537.jsp

I've swapped laces out in my DB's but can't find any leather or dressy ones for my Veblens or my Lands End Canvas'.

Comment

Working...
                              X