Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crims
    replied
    As someone of similar size I find the test above to work great. Although I imagine it depends a lot on your torso/leg proportions. Since I have shorter legs /w a longer torso, the more traditional, longer jackets would only exacerbate this problem. The finger curl method gives me a more balanced look.

Leave a comment:

• Gump
    replied
    Length looks fine. The traditional length jackets cover your ass. Modern-er ones are being cut shorter

Leave a comment:

• zxu426
    replied
    I think the sportcoat has a good, traditional length to it. Sleeves, though, should get shortened.

Leave a comment:

• GRussell
    replied
    @Gump: Sleeves are too long, but that's what tailors are for.
    @Shomas: It's pretty much exactly at the bottom of my butt.
    @JGL: As far as that test goes, it's longer than that.

A picture may help:

Apologies for the fingerprints on the mirror and the terrible lighting.

I've seen people wear them this long or even longer, but I'm not sure The Doctor is a good style role model.

Leave a comment:

• shad0w4life
    replied
    Originally posted by JGL View Post
    Have you tried this test?

That's a terrible test, mine would be mid thigh, also the jacket in the image is a tad short but the guy is bending his wrist too.

It should pretty much end at the bottom of your arse/crotch

Leave a comment:

• JGL
    replied
    Have you tried this test?

Leave a comment:

• Shomas
    replied
    I think a jacket going much past your ass would look a little odd, like a period costume or something. I don't think the pattern on that jacket is too much. The embellishments (the side pockets and the belt thing on the back) are a little more than I'd be interested in, but it's a matter of my particular taste.

Leave a comment:

• Gump
    replied
    Where does it hit on your body? Usually sleeves would be a bigger issue than the body length

Leave a comment:

• GRussell
    started a topic Suit jacket: how long is too long?

Suit jacket: how long is too long?

Land's End had a cotton herringbone suit for a pretty good price ($148.38, shipped free) during their last sale and I liked the look of it, so I bought it. Now that it's here, I'm torn. The construction is solid, the fabric is hefty in a good way, and it's going to need minimal tailoring to get it to fit right. Except the jacket is too long, and they don't offer it in short lengths. I'm 5'8", so I'm pretty used to having to send stuff back because of length. But aside from the one issue, I really, really like it. It's just that the bottom edge of the jacket is 2" longer than it really should be. So how long is too long?

As a secondary question (and to quiet/verify the little voice of doubt in the back of my mind), is the pattern too much?
    Last edited by GRussell; January 20, 2013, 01:17 AM.
Working...
X