No announcement yet.

Brown Shoes for $250?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One pair of well-made shoes rather than five shoes that cost $150 each and last one year each

Comment

This is terrible advice. One pair of well-made shoes will only last you a year if you're wearing them every day. If you're happy with the way the $150 shoes look (and you care for them the same way you'd care for a more expensive pair of shoes), you definitely are better off with a larger rotation of shoes. More expensive shoes don't magically last longer because of whatever pixie dust you might think custom makers put in them. The real value to bespoke is in the custom last (and therefore fit).

Nicer shoes generally "last longer" because people who buy them generally have more shoes to rotate -- the key part of shoe longevity -- and because they care for them better. If you applied the same rotation and care philosophy to a collection of Rockports, they'd last forever. Contrary to popular belief, corrected grain doesn't just fall apart from use. They fall apart from being worn every single day for a year. But you know what? That would happen with any pair of EGs also.

Apologies, if I sound harsh, I don't mean anything personally. Just tired of all the shoe urban legends that propagate on the Internet. I don't buy Rockports, but I wouldn't say my Aldens or C&J's are any more durable than the cheaper shoes I wore 10 years ago. (Yes, they are more nicely constructed, but that doesn't necessarily equal real durability.)

Comment

@Chareth - Agreed.

Comment

Take care of your shoes. Shoe trees in them at all times you are not wearing them. Polish them too! They will last much longer if you do.

Comment

I never wear the same pair of shoes two days in a row. I always give my shoes at least a day of rest. The moisture that is collected needs to dry out, and I put my shoe trees in the shoes so that they can maintain their form... I shine them once or twice a week to maintain their luster. I also have to brush them if they get dirty or scuffed… I pay attention to them.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies gang. Appears I won't do much better than some AEs honestly. I picked up a pair of cordovan brown strands for $285. Cordovan material seems nice, been reading they will last me forever and actually look better as they age.

Comment

Originally posted by nickrut View Post
                Cordovan material seems nice
                Haha that's up there in the "Understatement in the History of Dappered Threads" category. I mean no offense, just messing around. But seriously, true shell cordovan is the nicest material in which shoes are made. That is not to say it is the be all end all, but it will literally outlast you if treated properly. I have a pair of vintage shell cordovan shoes that are somewhere between 30-50 years old and look great (cannot determine exactly as they have been resoled). Congrats!
                "You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

Originally posted by greg_s View Post
                  Haha that's up there in the "Understatement in the History of Dappered Threads" category. I mean no offense, just messing around. But seriously, true shell cordovan is the nicest material in which shoes are made. That is not to say it is the be all end all, but it will literally outlast you if treated properly. I have a pair of vintage shell cordovan shoes that are somewhere between 30-50 years old and look great (cannot determine exactly as they have been resoled). Congrats!

Lol...I figured the understatement was good to go. I'm excited to see them age, I do need to step my shoe care situation up. Apparently brushing these things is important.

Comment

Yes. Look up the Mac method. It's called something like that. A guy from SF came up with it and he has the most and the best looking cordovan shoes I've ever seen.
                    "You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

Originally posted by greg_s View Post
                      Yes. Look up the Mac method. It's called something like that. A guy from SF came up with it and he has the most and the best looking cordovan shoes I've ever seen.
                      He is a machine with his brushing. I'll need to do that so whenever I get my next pair I'm already primed and ready to go haha...

Comment

Working...
                      X