What Socks Do I Wear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Socks Do I Wear?

What socks do I wear with jeans and converse during the winter (so no no-show socks)? I don't want the thin dress socks, so what does one wear? I feel like a typical white sweat sock, but in blue would be the sort of thing that would go well but I'm not sure that exists. What say all of you?

Wool socks, cashmere socks, printed cotton socks like Happy Socks...

Comment

I find myself thinking or saying "what Shomas said" quite a lot....

Don't wear a navy blue cotton sock. Too matchy matchy with jeans. It's like wearing those gold toe khaki socks with khakis. Some wool or chunky cotton hiking socks would look good. I like cotton socks from the GAP, patterns from Express are nice but the socks are not so nice, Happy Socks are OK, JCrew socks are alright. I am not a Target sock believer.

For wool, just look for socks with a high % merino wool. A lot of people like SmartWool but I find the quality is pretty poor for the price. I've had better luck with Keen socks, Pearl Izumi wool socks, and no name brands.
      "You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

I find that those socks are a bit too dressy for casual wear, though.

Say it's not Converse, but instead is just a nice Adidas sneaker. What socks do I wear then?

Comment

Maybe some chunky socks like JCF's Factory socks or Timberland's boot socks. You could also try just solid color ribbed socks that you can find in most dept. stores.

Comment

@ greg_s, I wish my wife, children and colleagues had the same instinct!

Another decent option for substantial but not athletic socks is Uniqlo. They have a pretty vast array of solid colors and relatively simple patterns in cotton blends. I can't speak to their durability, but they feel and look pretty good and the price is right.

Comment

Alright. Jeans and these shoes: http://www.zappos.com/adidas-origina...-light-scarlet

What socks do I wear (other than no-show)?

Comment

Honestly, I wear chunky wool hiking-type socks with all kinds of shoe/pant combinations in winter. I have them in a variety of colors and thicknesses.
                Ben

Comment

Originally posted by devirkahan View Post
                  Alright. Jeans and these shoes: http://www.zappos.com/adidas-origina...-light-scarlet

What socks do I wear (other than no-show)?
                  Personally, I'm feeling that once you add that distinct red and blue in there, you are setting yourself up for some restrictions. I guess it depends on how daring you are, in these regards, but that's my instant thought.

If you stick with a more neutral pair of sneaks, then your options are pretty limitless, color/pattern-wise.

Also, are your *tennis-shoes* (Michigan/midwest nomenclature/terminology) sized to allow for a thicker sock? Mine are mostly sized to fit my bare foot, sometimes allowing for a thinner sock (no-show, Target/Merona argyle/stripe, Happy Sock(s) thickness). I would have some trouble wearing mine with a thicker wool/hiking sock.

Comment

Although I *do* have a pair of suede Jack Purcells, that are sized a little looser, to allow me to wear those winter boot/hiking type socks like those LesserBlackDog mentions.

For those, I like merino wool blends from Timberland, Woolrich (for that thicker, almost ragwool look), or SmartWool/Wigwam/REI offerings. But they tend to be pretty think in most of my cases. I wear them with the (infamous?) Stafford Camlins, too, as I think of those as one of my favorite winter (somewhat-)dressier casual boots. If I wear thinner socks, like Happy Socks, with those, I slide all around inside them.

Comment

They would allow for a thicker sock, which I have. I guess I'll try that. Any good places to get them?

Comment

Found some great ones at Nordstrom Rack. Also like JCF's camp socks

Comment

I've gotten most of my winter socks from local discounters like Marshalls & TJMaxx. They carry the Woolrich and Timberland ones I wear, at great prices too. I've actually bought a few extra pairs recently, as they are already being marked down, to get ready for Spring stock, I guess.

If you want to get a bit more spendy, the SmartWools and Wigwams I have were from sports stores (Dunhams, Dick's, etc), but I don't think they are much of a deal from those places. Dunno. I only have a couple pair.

REI (outdoor/camping/hiking shop) has some house brand socks that some folks like as a SmartWool alternative.

Just a couple ideas. Like I said, most of my stuff is from the discounters. Heck, I got several pair of Happy Socks from them, clearanced, at $3 a pair. Nice!

Comment

Oh, and if you don't feel like mixing the color/pattern thing up much, you might want to check your local Army/Navy surplus store. I only have one pair from them, but when I want warm *olive* socks, I know which pair to grab.
                            Last edited by yoyorobbo; January 16, 2013, 03:33 PM. Reason: hing -> thing

Comment

I'm lame, i just wear black nick tube socks

Never got into colorful and print socks

Comment

Working...
                              X