Help finding Midweight/Lighweight Parka Made in USA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help finding Midweight/Lighweight Parka Made in USA

Does anyone know of a nice Midweight/Lightweight parka that is Made in the USA.

I am going to Africa in July which is winter in Africa. While the temperatures are not bad, I will not be moving a lot, so I need something that keeps me pretty warm. A hood would be ideal.

I found this from Filson, but I am worried it is too heavy: http://www.filson.com/products/shelt...r-header-10070

Any ideas?

I'm not sure if you've been to Africa before, but it's pretty big. We would need a bit more info to comment on appropriate suggestions, since the climate changes so much. My guess is your instinct is right - a heavy parka is going to be too warm in most places, but if you're in South Africa, it may be ok (although I still wouldn't recommend the parka, more for travel convenience reasons). If you're in Kenya, I would just bring a nice waterproof windbreaker. If you're in North Africa, it won't be winter.

Comment

Whoops, thought I included "South" in there. South Africa. Temps between 39-65 F but lots of sitting & staying stilll and being outside during the night...Parka is probably the wrong word. Essentially a warm jacket with a hood but not a winter coat.

Comment

Here are a few that may fit the bill - http://www.primermagazine.com/2013/s...-simple-casual

The more detail you provide, the more I believe that a technical jacket may be better suited to meet your criteria. Check sites like Sierra Trading Post.

Comment

I think hasenkopfe is right, a technical jacket is probably the right choice. Personally, I would bring that plus a sweatshirt or two to layer with, as opposed to a single heavy jacket. From my experience of the South African winter, the sun is really strong and the wind at night can be pretty chilly, so having the ability to remove a layer in the morning or add one at night would be good. My guess is that changes dramatically based on which coast you're on, or if you're deep inland.

LL Bean has a few that are made in the USA, although you have to click on each one to see whether it says imported or not. Check under "hunting and fishing".

Comment

Working...
          X