Wool Tie Vs. Silk Tie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wool Tie Vs. Silk Tie

I have a business event at the end of the month at a hotel in Atlantic City. Black Tie is optional. Its not strictly a business dinner as there will be dancing and such. I plan on wearing my JCF Thompson wool suit in charcoal. I am trying to decide on which tie to wear, both are black, one is wool one is silk. Wool one is 2.5inches, silk one is 3 inches. Any suggestions. Thank you

The silk will be a little more formal, I personally like the texture of a wool tie more. I can't remember but the 2.5 in also matches the lapel of the JCP better no?

Comment

Personally, I'd go with the wool.

Comment

For what sounds to be a semi formal event I would stick with a silk tie.

Comment

Black tie optional and you're going suit (which is fine), so I wouldn't go too informal on the tie. That being said, it's hard to tell which of the ties would be more formal... Normally I'd say silk would, but hard to judge as to particular texture without pictures/links. Generally, I'd go with bremers with the silk sight unseen.

Comment

I would opt for the wool, with a crisp white linen or cotton pocket square. I think the silk might look odd against the texture of the suit, whereas I've thought wool ties look great with it. The caveat to this advice is that I just simply don't like silk ties for the most part - particularly monochrome silk ties. If you don't share my prejudice, you may have a different take.

Comment

More texture is less formal than shiny/less texture. This is fundamental in classic menswear. The event is relatively formal and the OP is wearing something at the lower edge of accepted formality. So he has to pump up the formality as much as possible by wearing the shiniest tie he has. In this case, that's probably silk but I'd have to see them to know for sure.

Comment

Thanks for all the great input. Just to clarify, the invitation says Black tie optional, but I was at this event last year and no one wore a tux, not sure if that changes anyone's input or not.

Comment

I love wool ties, but for that event I'd definitely wear silk.

Comment

Working...
                  X