Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the "standard" length and how much sock to show when sitting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the "standard" length and how much sock to show when sitting?

Bought some new denim and was curious what the "ideal" length/break was and also how much sock should show when sitting. Looking at WIWTs, this is usually all over the place, but is there a "standard?" that is usually well accepted?

Length wise would you say these are within an acceptable "standard?"

STANDING:

SITTING:

EDIT: Seems to ride a little higher at the end of the day after a lot of sitting and standing:
    Last edited by Acousticfoodie; January 16, 2013, 10:49 AM.

Back of the pant should be touching the top of the heel (when standing) no? Although I see no issue with what you have here. Especially if you have some cool socks on.

Comment

Originally posted by JGL View Post
      Back of the pant should be touching the top of the heel (when standing) no? Although I see no issue with what you have here. Especially if you have some cool socks on.
      That's my general rule as well but I've seen denim all over the place with people having shorter lengths or even longer lengths with massive amounts of breaks/stackings. These are in my usual length but feels like it could be a just a "bit" longer. But it this is within an acceptable length range I'll just stick with it rather than return.

Comment

Looks like another half inch to an inch to meet "the rule"? Like I said, I see no problem with the way it looks as is but I'm not much of a stickler for rules. As long as you feel comfortable wearing it then go for it. The people with the "too short" or "too long" denim are doing it

Comment

Although it looks like you set the camera on the floor, I would rather see the standing picture from farther away. Is the leg completely straight until what is shown? The sitting is fairly subjective. I'm wearing pants that have more of a break, but they rose a lot higher when I sat down. They'd be showing twice as much sock if I wasn't wearing boots.

Comment

I dunno about sitting, but for standing, personally, it depends on the leg opening. I've got a pair of Old Navy slim jeans that have a leg opening of about 15.5-16", and then a pair of LEC 608 Slim Fits (the ones that Joe reviewed) that have a 14.5" leg opening. I'm comfortable with more break on the ON jeans than I am with the LEC, which just touch the top of my shoes. Break with slim leg looks a little off to me at times.

Comment

i think this looks fine. some may prefer it to be a tad longer, but this comes down to personal style. the jcrew models show more more ankle standing up than you sitting down, which may be the most fashion forward you will see.

Comment

Originally posted by bjmcgeever View Post
                I dunno about sitting, but for standing, personally, it depends on the leg opening. I've got a pair of Old Navy slim jeans that have a leg opening of about 15.5-16", and then a pair of LEC 608 Slim Fits (the ones that Joe reviewed) that have a 14.5" leg opening. I'm comfortable with more break on the ON jeans than I am with the LEC, which just touch the top of my shoes. Break with slim leg looks a little off to me at times.
                I tend to agree with this. The slimmer the jeans, the easier it is to pull off the no break look. On the other hand, no break on a pair of normal straight legs gives off a high waters vibe since they kind of just float above your shoe and wave around as you walk (at least IMHO). Since I stick mostly to straight leg jeans, I aim for a little break to avoid the high water look.

Comment

Originally posted by Deke View Post
                  I tend to agree with this. The slimmer the jeans, the easier it is to pull off the no break look. On the other hand, no break on a pair of normal straight legs gives off a high waters vibe since they kind of just float above your shoe and wave around as you walk (at least IMHO). Since I stick mostly to straight leg jeans, I aim for a little break to avoid the high water look.
                  Ah, that could explain the variance I always see. The jeans I have pictured are just 514s...from what everyone else has said it seems like it's an acceptable length for both standing and sitting.

Comment

I think a good spot is having it stop right above the heels of my shoes. i don't try and get my pants perfect. As long as its near the heels of the shoes, I'm satisfied.

I wouldn't worry as much about how much sock is showing when sitting as long as the pants look proper when you're standing upright.

Comment

Sounds like people have this one pretty much covered, but thought I'd put in my (probably not worth a full) two cents: Just remember this changes with what shoes you're wearing, so on a pair of boots, for example, those jeans may hit that spot perfectly. Personally I think that length looks great with those shoes.

Comment

Doh...after a day of wearing and sitting down and up the length looks more like this by the end of the day:

Still acceptable length?

Comment

I think that's a fine length.

There is no right or wrong pant length... just lengths which are more appropriate for certain styles and in certain situations. Just as with suit trousers, there is a spectrum - full-break, half-break, no-break. A full-break works best for a larger person and a wider pant leg, a more conservative style. No-break works best for a very tapered pant leg and looks more contemporary.

What you've got there is somewhere around a half-break - you've got a crease ("break") going on in the front, but the back of the pant hem doesn't quite reach the sole of your shoe.

Honestly, I like my jeans on the shorter side. I like them to have a very small amount of crease in the front, and to just slightly cover over the backs of my shoes. Somewhere between half-break and no-break, basically. I prefer the slightly shorter look to the more common full-break, where the jeans "pool" on top of the shoe and look a bit sloppy.
                          Ben

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post

Honestly, I like my jeans on the shorter side. I like them to have a very small amount of crease in the front, and to just slightly cover over the backs of my shoes. Somewhere between half-break and no-break, basically. I prefer the slightly shorter look to the more common full-break, where the jeans "pool" on top of the shoe and look a bit sloppy.
                            So you prefer your shoes touching the top of the back part of the shoe rather than further down to the back of the sole? That would be even shorter than what I have pictured then yes?

Comment

Originally posted by Acousticfoodie View Post
                              So you prefer your shoes touching the top of the back part of the shoe rather than further down to the back of the sole? That would be even shorter than what I have pictured then yes?
                              That's what it sounds like he's saying.

I prefer a half break similar to what yours look like in that picture. If something is a no break similar to what Ben is describing, I'm probably returning it. If something is a half inch too long and is a full break, I'll probably live with it - especially if it's jeans.

The Bonobos soft wash chinos in a 30" length are perfect on me (at least according to my preferences).

Comment

Working...
                              X