Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much polyester is too much polyester?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much polyester is too much polyester?

So I've been wanting a camel colored coat for a while now. I saw this one at H&M the other day and rather liked it.( http://www.hm.com/us/product/93306?a...rticle=93306-C ) I don't own anything from this store and really have no idea how long this thing would last or how it would feel in the long run. It's only 30% wool. I've seen things as low as 60% but 30% seems on the extreme side. Anybody own something similar?

The price seems decent as want something I can wear to class and other more casual settings without worrying too much about getting it messed up.

Normally I'm a fanatic when it comes to natural materials so I have very little experience with this much polyester. (my personal pet peeve is fake leather)

I'm really hoping someone will say "it's great you won't be able to tell" but I have a feeling that won't be the case.

Personally, I'm ok with buying a "wool" product that has up to 50% synthetic fibers. I have absolutely no hard evidence to prove this, but my experience is that once you start working on less than half wool, you really start to lose the beneficial qualities of the organic fiber.

We all know that wool is more breathable and has a better "hand" than polyester. Wool also retains warmth (even when damp), wicks moisture, is naturally flame retardant, has antimicrobial properties, and is more naturally resilient to physical stresses than other commonly-used organic and synthetic fibers.

As with so many things in the world of affordable style, it really boils down to a question of cost versus quality. If cost is more important to you, then go ahead and buy it. If you really want superior quality, then maybe pass up on this one and save up for something a little higher-end. Or maybe a combination of both - buy this one now and save up for a high-quality investment coat in a few years.

Ben

Comment

Or spend some quality time in your local thrifts.

Comment

While this probably isn't that informative for your situation. I've had decent luck with the longevity of H&M products as a whole, especially considering the price. I've had some pants hold up well for 2 years running now ($20) and a great fall-weight cotton military style jacket holding strong for about 4 years now (about $50).

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

Agree with the gents above.

I've owned items up to 50% wool and they've been OK, don't have experience with less wool content. As for H&M: my longest-lasting items are an (acrylic!) sweater and a 65% wool 3/4 length overcoat that have both lasted 7+ [short winter] seasons. I just bought a 50% wool jacket from them (in "Herrinbone")

http://www.hm.com/us/product/91841?article=91841-C#article=91841-A

I probably paid more than I should have but I haven't been able to find anything like it thrifting. Not sure what part of the country you're in. In the South (gulf coast) I don't see many wool overcoats but I can get a nice camel blazer almost any day. I would look at local thrift stores first - the Goodwill here charges $15 for a coat, many of which look to be in near mint condition (ritzy area). I spend more than that at the tailor.

My Measurements: 6' 1" height, 35" sleeves, 41-42" chest/jacket, 35" waist, 34" inseam, 11.5D/EEE shoes, 200 lbs

Comment

Thanks for the input. I'd love to have a camel blazer but I was really looking for something more casual. I enjoy thrifting but I don't tend to have great luck. I'm around six two and wear a size forty. Forty long is not the easiest size to find.

However, I tried the H&M jacket on in the store and the regular forty two fit me surprisingly well.

Comment

Working...
            X