Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tough Guy Casual

Hey I'm looking to create a few casual tough guy looks -

Inspiration - http://www.gq.com/style/week-in-styl...9-2012#slide=1 and http://www.gq.com/style/blogs/the-gq...x-edition.html

Obviously no one rocks the badass look as hard as Justin Theroux does.

I'm looking for some ideas on where to find some staples and basics of the genre.

shopping list:
    Black leather cafe racer jacket (maybe:http://www.primermagazine.com/2010/s...r-cycle-jacket) approval/suggestions please
    Black slim fit jeans: maybe 514's. Does anyone know a cheap place to pick these up?
    Black boots: Frye's dakota? surplus store??
    dark charcoal hoodie: target?
    various dark colored v-necks and crewnecks: target?

If you guys have any tough guy looks that you like feel free to share!

Don't forget henleys. And you can get nice black boots anywhere. Yeah check some thrift/army surplus stores, and definitely look on Ebay. Those boots look fine but for that price you can definitely get some Red Wings on Ebay (not knocking Frye, they're a good company). You don't need to go all black to look tough, but yep, 514s, or try the JCP dark rinse (I don't know if they have black) but they fit like the 514 and are cheap. I dont know much about leather jackets.

But the number one thing is having the attitude for it. Perhaps also the facial hair.

Comment

Originally posted by LosRockets View Post
      But the number one thing is having the attitude for it.
      Yeah, that's what I was thinking. And going by the second GQ link, someone who puts on $1500 worth of clothing to look badass, isn't.

I like the surplus store idea for boots. I wouldn't expect 514s to fit over the top of them, though.

As far as the leather jacket, do you actually ride a motorcycle, or do you just want to look like you do? The "fashion" motorcycle jackets are generally not quite the same as a real motorcycle jacket. At least, not a good one.

Comment

I'd probably go vintage (Excelled, Cooper, Brooks) via eBay for a leather jacket, whether it be a bomber with a fur collar, or a cafe racer style.

Yeah obviously I'm not looking to spend $1500. Just looking to bring an edgier vibe into my wardrobe.

I'll check some surplus stores later this week. If anyone has any other ideas for where to find a leather jacket or boots (even jeans or hoodies and tshirts), let me know!

Comment

I think Ryan Gosling in the film Drive has pretty good tough guy style.

http://dappered.com/2011/09/steal-th...ling-in-drive/

As well as in his upcoming film, The Place Beyond the Pines.

Comment

I actually just picked up this trucker jacket in grey rigid. I figured grey was a pretty good medium between the regular navy and black jackets.

http://us.levi.com/product/index.jsp...46860.11896263

Comment

Just out of curiosity, could you give us some background here? Why the move to this look? What is your story (what do you do, etc)? I feel like that could direct advice a bit.
              "You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

No real reason except that I like the aesthetic. Tired of the jcrew trend and thought I would branch out.

Comment

I think you had the right idea with Levi's, no reason to over think it, I just suspect the slimmer fits won't fit over the boots. 501 or 505 should be fine. I would also keep the jeans blue. The idea of black slim fit jeans makes me think a wallet chain is next.

Have you looked around for some of the Steve McQueen style info out there? He was known for going just about everywhere in denim or leather.

Comment

Well, Steve McQueen wore plenty of traditional mens' clothes and still looked tough. There's plenty of J. Crew that could have fit into his wardrobe based on the cardigans, polos, and khakis he frequently sported.

Last edited by Cannon; January 13, 2013, 11:58 PM.

Comment

Would Steve McQueen wear a nautical striped hoody? I saw one I really liked at J Crew the other day, even liked the way it looked and fit. But I passed. I kept thinking, Yeah, but... And recalling no image of McQueen in anything like it or Daniel Craig, etc.

I like having style icons to emulate but I sometimes also wonder if it limits me, in a bad way.

Comment

Originally posted by Duvel View Post
                        Would Steve McQueen wear a nautical striped hoody? I saw one I really liked at J Crew the other day, even liked the way it looked and fit. But I passed. I kept thinking, Yeah, but... And recalling no image of McQueen in anything like it or Daniel Craig, etc.

I like having style icons to emulate but I sometimes also wonder if it limits me, in a bad way.
                        I just don't wear hoodies. Nautical sweatshirt, maybe on a quiet Sunday at the pier or around the house. Depends on how it looks. This in Navy might be a better option, if that's a look you want: http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/p...bqlbZX7XuTuO9Q

Comment

I have something very much like that from the Crew. I pulled the trigger on the hoodie. I decided that I liked it so much that the McQueen factor was irrelevant. At only 15 bucks for an $80 retail store garment, I couldn't pass it up.

Comment

There's a nice detail on the hoodie that takes it into the tough guy realm for me, by they way. The buttons at the collar are anchor buttons, like what you'd see on a pea coat but smaller. I think that is very cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Duvel View Post

If you're passing on things you really like just because so-and-so didn't wear it than yes, it's bad IMO. Your icons should be inspiring you not limiting you.

Comment

Working...
                              X