Shoe trees in "cheap" shoes - worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shoe trees in "cheap" shoes - worth it?

My understanding of shoe trees is that they help prevent creasing/wrinkling by maintaining the proper shape of the shoe while it's not being worn (and supposedly cedar shoe trees absorb moisture/odors...).

Is using shoe trees worthwhile for cheaper shoes? I have some Florsheim's that are plastic-y corrected grain, which I've read creases easily. Does this enhance the case for using shoe trees, or will they crease so much on their from wear that it's not worth it?

Hmm that is a good question, you need to find someone who has experienced the same thing as you as far as the type of shoe and materials.

I personally own about 10 shoe trees, and I purchase them as needed. Granted I put them in all my dress shoes and have now started to use them in my other leather boots such as, Clarks desert boots (beeswax), my Polo boots, and my Timberland Earthkeepers. Now granted all those are real leather, so I'm sure they do help.

If you can spare the shoe tree, I'd say use it, it cant hurt. I've found that my Nordstrom Rack sells the adjustable shoe trees for 12.90 each. So every couple months as I need 1 ill pick 1 up. It doesn't break the bank for me personally. And I also like the fact that I don't have to xfer shoe trees constantly from shoe to shoe, I just keep them in all shoe that require it at all times.

Comment

Trash,

How long do you expect the glue on the shoes to last? A reasonable expectation would be ~12 months. Shoe trees will help maintain the shape, but the real worry will be the stitching and the glue.

Comment

Good point about construction, almost seems not worth it if I don't expect the shoes to last more than a year or two. I won't be wearing them that often, so I was wondering if it's somehow worse to leave them on my shoe rack with nothing holding the shape for weeks at a time, and more so if it's cheap leather.

Nordstrom Rack has their shoe trees on sale for $10 every now and then, so next time maybe I'll just pick up an extra but not sweat it if a beater pair don't get their own tree.

Comment

Then again if you're not wearing them that often, the trees might add $10 worth of longevity.

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

Depends on how cheap the shoe is I suppose. But I would put shoetrees in florsheims for sure. I have shoe trees in my Clarks, Johnston & murphys, Fryes, and Kenneth Coles. As long as you keep a steady rotation of shoes and polish and condition regularly, the shoe trees will still help them maintain their shape.

Comment

Working...
            X