Levi's 501 STF fit vs 514s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Levi's 501 STF fit vs 514s

I am looking to diversify my pants game for when I go out and was considering the 501 STF Tobacco color but I'm a bit worried how they will fit. I really like my 514s so my concerns with the STFs are if there will be too much rise and if the ankles will end up being too tight. Does anyone have experience with both fits? Also kind of wondering about the fit of 513s, are they just like 514s but with a smaller ankle opening? I'm thinking the 17" opening on 514s might be a little more spacious than I need and could be comfortable with something a little smaller.
    5'8" 155 lbs 39" chest 33" sleeves 33" waist

As I recall, the leg openings were a similar size on the 501s and 514s I've owned. The main difference is that the 501 is a lot more generously cut in the seat/thigh and has a higher rise.

Also, while I size up one for my 514s, I found that I wore my usual size or one size smaller in the 501s.

If you want something similar to the 514 with a narrower leg opening, the 513 is basically the same cut with a tapered leg rather than the slight bootcut that the 514 has.
    Ben

Comment

Not a fan of the 514 and the 501 is wayy too baggy for me (personally). Second the 513. Even better, I LOVE the 508 - higher rise than the 513, nice taper.

Comment

Are your experiences with the 501 or 501 Shrink to Fit? Was hoping the shrinking part would make them fit better and I really like the Tobacco color. I'll probably siwtch to 513s when I need to replace my 514s. Has anyone noticed on the Levi's site 514s are now listed as Straight fit and 513s as Slim Straight? In other news I ordered a pair of Dockers Alpha Khakis in Buckskin.
        5'8" 155 lbs 39" chest 33" sleeves 33" waist

Comment

My 501s were the shrink-to-fits. Even after shrinking them, they still had a high-rise and a more generous fit than my 514s. The 1st pair of STFs I got, I sized up 1 according to Levis' advice but even after shrinking, they felt way too loose. I bought a second pair in my normal waist size and 2" longer in the inseam. Those fit better in the waist after shrinking, but were still pretty generous in the seat/thighs and had a much higher rise than my 514s. By contrast, I size up 1" in 514s and get a pretty good fit.

In my experience, the STFs won't give you a true slim fit unless you have a tiny waist and get a size smaller than your usual size. They are basically just a way to achieve a more "custom" straight fit.
          Ben

Comment

You may also want to look into the Lucky Brand 121 heritage slim. Not sure about the colors available, but they have a nice slim (but not tight, if you size up one inch) fit and a pretty ideal 16" leg opening. I find that the opening works better than my 514s, which are really too big for anything but boots. With the 121s, I find I can transition from chukkas to loafers without a problem. To be honest, I'm not sure whether the 513's 15 1/4" opening might be a little too tight, especially with chukkas.

In terms of price, Lucky can be expensive, but I got a good deal at their outlet. Not sure, again, about the tan/tobacco color you're looking for.

In other news, I noticed that levi.com has finally renamed the 513s as "slim straight" and the 514s as "straight fit." This seems more appropriate, since, as Ben noted, the 514s tend to almost have a slight boot cut to them (unless you can shrink them in the wash, which I kind of successfully did).

Comment

514 are not really a boot cut, but a true straight leg. A new pair will measure exactly the same across the knee and leg opening, but it's exactly the fact that the leg is exactly straight that gives the illusion of a boot cut given the way it drapes below your knee.

Another alternative to the 514 is a sized down 505. I've personally found them to have similar fits except that the 505 tapers more below the knee (to 16", vs 17" for the 514). One thing to keep in mind is that with Levi's there is very little consistency in sizes across fabrics for any of their fits, so YMMV with this. My advice? Try before you buy. I've tried 514s, for example, in 32 waist that I could barely button and also some that were so loose they looked like clown pants.

Comment

Resurrecting this to voice my frustration with baggy leg openings in both my 501s and 514s (no difference between the two, as Ben points out). Would I need to go down to a 511 to get jeans that are tapered below the knee? I'm having my tailor taper both of my current pairs since I just bought them but for future reference it would be good to know which fit to try. I like the fit of my 514s around the seat and thigh but they're still WAY too wide for my taste below the knee (doesn't help that I have chicken legs). Both of my pairs are 40 x 32.

Comment

Originally posted by MattRicketts View Post
                  Resurrecting this to voice my frustration with baggy leg openings in both my 501s and 514s (no difference between the two, as Ben points out). Would I need to go down to a 511 to get jeans that are tapered below the knee? I'm having my tailor taper both of my current pairs since I just bought them but for future reference it would be good to know which fit to try. I like the fit of my 514s around the seat and thigh but they're still WAY too wide for my taste below the knee (doesn't help that I have chicken legs). Both of my pairs are 40 x 32.
                  Man, ya'll must be stick figures. Both the 501 and 514s were waaay too skinny for me. Honestly, the cut of the 514 reminded me of something the wife unit might wear. I am by no means an unskinny guy (6'5 & 190lbs). Though not nearly as bad as the Bonobo Rananoke (or whatever jeans), those were basically painted on... I think skinny is going too far.

Comment

Working...
                  X