Steamers!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steamers!

So im in the market for a home steamer for home. I'll use it to touch up suit jackets and pants along with blazers and shirts.

Anyone in the threads community use one? I'd like some recommendations.

I spent about $40 on my Conair model. It works well and I use it everyday, but I see steamers with better features and stability for just a bit more. The wife bought it and didn't do any research prior but we lucked out and got a decent model.

Look for models with a steam board or with clips to hold garments taught while you steam. Mine only has a hook for a hangar and my garment twists and twirls while I'm steaming it.

Comment

When I've been reading about steamers lately, they all are saying that the steam kills odors and cleans 99.9% of the material. So my question is, do you wash you items less when you use a steamer?

Comment

Typically I will just steam things I wouldn't wash. Blazers, suits and pants, the occasional sweater or tie depending on the material. I wash all my dress shirts and make sure to hang them immediately out of the dryer to avoid wrinkles. Otherwise, I hang them in the bathroom while I shower to help loosen up minor wrinkles. But I'm lazy when it comes to the ironing/de-wrinkling of clothes.

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

Yes, I steam everything. Cuts down on dry-cleaning. In fact, I've only been to the dry cleaners twice in my entire life. I steam all of my jackets regularly, probably every 3rd or 4th wear. Wool gets washed once in a while with Woolite or baby shampoo and air dried. Between washings, they get steamed. Sometimes I'll wear shirts twice before laundering if I didn't sweat as long as I steam them between wearings. This is possible because I wear undershirts.

Comment

Glen, when you say "wool gets washed with Woolite," are you talking about stuff like wool suits and jackets, or just sweaters and things?

Ben

Comment

Just sweaters and such. Jackets have to go to the dry cleaners. Sorry for not clarifying.

Comment

I'm definitely in the market for a steamer—recommendations welcomed!!

Comment

Now do you guys wash your sweaters in a washing machine with Woolite or by hand? As stated by my original post, I also am in the market for a steamer.

Thus far, I have my eye on the Jiffy j-2000 steamer.

Comment

I do my sweaters in the washing machine, inside a mesh laundry bag, on delicate setting. With literally just a few drops of Dr. Bronner's soap. The mesh bag is really useful as it prevents any pulling or stretching of the fibers by the washing machine blades. I got mine for just a few dollars at Target. Similar to this, but mine is branded by Tide:

http://www.amazon.com/Honey-Can-Do-LBG-01144-Sweater-Wash-White/dp/B001F51AP8/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1318898819&sr=8-9

As far as steamers go, I've been looking at some of the hand-held steamers (which are loads cheaper). Most of them seem to get fairly decent reviews. I was in Bed, Bath & Beyond today to buy some cedar hang-ups for my closet and saw one for $20. I might have to pick it up sooner or later.

Ben

Comment

I really really suggest investing in an upright steamer. The portable ones are convenient for travel, but they don't output as much steam and the reservoir is much smaller. I bought mine for $40 at Costco, I believe.

Comment

I've been poking around Amazon and these four seem interesting. Does anyone have any experience with these models?

Rowenta DR5015 800 Watt Ultra Steam Brush with Travel Pouch

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

• I believe that Joe recommended this one at some point?

• Decent price

• Small reservoir

• Some reviews complain that it doesn't get hot enough

Jiffy Steamer ESTEAM Travel Steamer

• Holds lots of water

• Takes a bit to heat up

• Some reviews make this one sound hazardous

Steam Fast SF-435 Compact Fabric Steamer

• Similar to the Jiffy above, but half the price

SteamFast SF-407 1500-Watt Fabric Steamer

• A full standing steamer for ~$60

• For a little more than a travel steamer, you don't have to deal with limited capacity

• It's (obviously) bigger than a travel steamer

Comment

Go with either the Rowenta or the full standing steamer. If you don't need it to travel, definitely go with the full standing steamer. Definitely.

Comment

Working...
                          X