Dress Boots Under $100.00

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dress Boots Under $100.00

I am looking to get a pair of black dress boots to wear with a suit. I have a limited budget and would appreciate some advice on a good pair of boots around $100.00. Thanks

It might just be me but I would not wear boots with a suit.

Comment

Randy, I bought these awhile back:

http://us.asos.com/Frank-Wright-Frank-Wright-Adler-Leather-Chelsea-Boots/tfv0t/?iid=1305802&r=2&mporgp=L0ZyYW5rLVdyaWdodC9GcmFuay 1XcmlnaHQtQWRsZXItTGVhdGhlci1DaGVsc2VhLUJvb3RzL1By b2Qv

They are out of stock but maybe you can find them elsewhere. They're comfortable, although don't breathe super well. Leather insides too. Not top quality for $100 but they've served me well so far.

RE boots w/ suit: In the US, this is popular in the South, even in the boardroom (Oil and Gas Industry). I could also maybe see this in the winter. In general I find dress boots less formal than dress shoes. I can't say it's my style but I've seen it done successfully a few times. IMO if you will go this route you need very formal boots (wing tips, something like I posted above), thin sole, clean, highly polished, etc.

My Measurements: 6' 1" height, 35" sleeves, 41-42" chest/jacket, 35" waist, 34" inseam, 11.5D/EEE shoes, 200 lbs

Comment

Bremersm, it's not just you. Boots should not be worn with a suit unless you're a 1960's British pop sensation. A possible exception might be made if you're a southern oil baron and snakeskin or crocodile-skin boots are your style.

Comment

Would like to chime in here for a moment and encourage my fellow posters to stick to giving advice as it is requested to avoid being overly critical and come across as attacking an individual's personal style. The OP asked to be pointed in the direction of some boots, not an opinion on boots with suits.

This forum has been great at giving great advice and remaining congenial and I would love it to remain a friendly place. Thanks guys and keep up the good work.

Sorry Randy, don't have a lead on boots however.

Comment

I like my Florsheim Gaffney's in chestnut, but they also come in black:

http://www.florsheim.com/shop/style/15030.html

They're listed at $130 but with code LINK20 they come down to $104

Comment

Anyone had experience with Floorsheim's other boot, Hawley? It has a more subtle sole compared to the Gaffney's. I was debating to get them to use on rainy days as my shoes to wear with my suits for work. Any opinions on that boot with a suit?

Comment

I haven't seen the Hawleys in person, but I know Joe gave them a good review. They look extremely nice. I almost bought those, but ended up with the AE Dalton's instead. I would definitely wear the Hawleys with a suit, but I always have the luxury of wearing whatever I want. In some workplaces they may not be acceptable.

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

I feel like you could pull them off with wool trousers and a tweed coat sort of thing, but maybe not full on suit

Comment

I have the Florsheim Hawley. it is a great boot but agree with Ben above, the crazy horse oiled leather may be too casual for a suit.

Joe's post today mentioned the Ciro Lendini Wingtip Boot, $149.00, also available in black. That would be my vote if you can't find something like the Chelsea boot I posted above. Maybe the Florsheim Ashland for $125.

From Jason in the deals thread:
                    <blockquote>

Florsheim has a 15% off sale on boots: Take 15% off any boot purchase with PROMO CODE "Boots15"
                    </blockquote>
                    My Measurements: 6' 1" height, 35" sleeves, 41-42" chest/jacket, 35" waist, 34" inseam, 11.5D/EEE shoes, 200 lbs

Comment

I've also been looking at the Allen Edmonds Fifth Street Boot. As in their description, it could be worn with a suit without much noticeability. Its tempting, but I really like the black version over the brown.

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF7715_1_40000000001_-1

would you guys hesitate to wear it with a suit?

Comment

I would not hesitate. In fact, if you'd like to send me some in brown, size 10.5D I'll take a picture and show you me wearing them with a suit

Comment

LOL @ JC. Tat, I would wear those with a suit.

Comment

andrew7, I suspect that you were addressing me in your post. It wasn't my intention to disparage Randy's style, but I can see how my comment would be interpreted as such.

Randy, dress boots are tricky. I personally really like dress boots with wool slacks, but I feel that boots of any style should not be worn with a suit. That doesn't mean that you should avoid dress boots entirely; the Fifth Street boot that was posted looks amazing, and some of the boots on the Florsheim website that Jason posted also look good. Think about the environment where you plan to wear them. Will they be accepting of a somewhat casual style choice? Most places that expect you to wear a suit will also expect you to dress relatively conservatively.

There just aren't many places or times where the boot and suit look will be appropriate. The boots will wind up sitting in your closet, unused.

Hopefully that better explains why I feel that suits and boots don't work. Those Fifth Streets are nice!

Comment

I feel like some nice chelsea boots, or those fifth streets for example, you could wear with a suit 90% of the time you have a suit on. (not super conservative fields like law maybe). but hawleys or gaffneys or other boots like that, or even any wingtip boot, just aren't suit worthy. but definitely tweed worthy!

edit: also if you don't already have a pair of dress shoes in black and brown, I wouldn't go for dress boots.

Comment

Working...
                              X