No announcement yet.

Beckett Simonon. Anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It seems like more and more a lot of shoes in the sub $150 range have a lot of this fake or pseudo burnishing, I'm not sure why everyone is doing it as I think ultimately it ends up looking fake. Outside of that, for $80 they don't look too bad. Curious to see how the suede versions look.
    "Waste no time arguing what a good man should be. Be one." – Marcus Aurelius

Comment

Originally posted by Sigtweed Corduroy View Post
      It seems like more and more a lot of shoes in the sub $150 range have a lot of this fake or pseudo burnishing, I'm not sure why everyone is doing it as I think ultimately it ends up looking fake. Outside of that, for $80 they don't look too bad. Curious to see how the suede versions look.
      A year or so ago, before I started to read all of the sites like dappered or styleforum, i picked one up in that range (~115 or whatever) as it looked fine on the website. When I got it I couldn't quite tell what was wrong with it, but yea, part of it has to do with the fake burnishing. The shoes I bought (as well as possibly the ones upthread) also have an almost "plasticy" look to them, it's hard to put it into words exactly. But the picture right by the AEs sort of puts it on display.

Comment

Burnishing is used on cheaper shoes to provide a more "organic" look to cheap corrected grain leather. Its not as awful as that fake grain pattern embossing at least.

Mine haven't arrived yet, but I'm glad I ordered the suede.

Comment

Any reviews for the Derby's? I'm looking for a pair for Spring/Summer.

Comment

I got the same Chukkas Joe posted today. Pictured here with 514s. I took them for a spin around campus and they felt really good although I've never really had a problem breaking in shoes. They do feel flimsy but they hold their shape when not on my foot. The real test will be how they hold up after I beat them up for a month.

Comment

I wore the Hughes Longwings all day today. They are comfortable, and they do not hurt around the ankles like some shoes do during break-in. When I got home from work tonight, I swapped the laces and gave them a "low-gloss" shine with a darker brown cream. Here are some pictures:

Comment

Originally posted by Mint Condition View Post
                I wore the Hughes Longwings all day today. They are comfortable, and they do not hurt around the ankles like some shoes do during break-in. When I got home from work tonight, I swapped the laces and gave them a "low-gloss" shine with a darker brown cream. Here are some pictures:

your low gloss shine is immaculate gives the shoe new life...cuz i didnt like the pleather like finish they had going
                "The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
                I>0<I

Comment

Shoes definitely look better after the treatment. I kind of wish I had thought of that now.

Comment

Your treatment made a world of a difference for the shoes.

Comment

Originally posted by Mint Condition View Post

Nice, they have a really good vintage vibe to them!

Comment

Originally posted by MaxMan View Post
                        your low gloss shine is immaculate gives the shoe new life...cuz i didnt like the pleather like finish they had going
                        I had pretty much ruled out Beckett after reading the reviews but this picture has me reconsidering. Any idea how it would work on the black Longwings?

Comment

I just received my black suede chukkas today. They material feels a little cheap when you pick them up, but they feel great on the foot. They look like your avg. pair of suede chukkas too. Not the best shoe ever and not the worst. As long as they hold up well and continue to feel as good while wearing them as they do now, I will consider it a good purchase at $79.

Comment

I think the consensus thus far is comfortable fit, little to no break in period, but subpar materials.

Comment

They aren't really very comfortable.

If you want a chukka for $80, but Clark's.

If you want a leather soled wingtip for the same price, try jcp or Macy's.

Comment

Any alternatives to the Hughes oxblood longwings? I really want a pair of shoes of that style but haven't been able to find one which costs under 200 so I might just buy the Beckett and Simonon one.

Comment

Working...
                                X