Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bought first blazer, is this fitted correctly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bought first blazer, is this fitted correctly?

I usually do not prefer wearing a blazer but thought I'd give one a try per Joe's suggestions on his affordable fall blazers post. I picked up the BR cotton pin-dot blazer for 40% off in size 40R. Can you guys tell me if this looks like the correct size on me or do I need to go up to 42R? I think it looks pretty well fitted but my shoulder's range of movement is limited when my arms are held close and straight up per the pictures below; I can't advance any further at this point. Is this normal or should I have complete range of motion? Thoughts?

http://i55.tinypic.com/33oh279.png

http://i52.tinypic.com/fkbct5.png

http://i53.tinypic.com/f55apu.png

http://i54.tinypic.com/2v3knky.png

I go by the rule "If you moving is limited it's not right" So, yeah if you are having problems doing certain movements in it I would have it tailored in the spots that you need it. Some people like me just have big shoulder that doesn't mean you need to go up a whole size. Unless the whole jacket doesn't fit well.

Comment

Hey Beffcake, thanks for the input. When you say have it tailored in spots that I need, what do you mean? It fits great everywhere else, and the only limitation is in completely raising my shoulders parallel to the ground since the back starts hugging me as can be seen in the last picture. I thought tailors couldn't adjust the upperbody/shoulders all that much?

Comment

I tend to have the same problem with BR's tailored fit blazers. They're pretty tight in the back. I'm having my tailor let out the back seam as much as she can.

Comment

I don't know; I think there is some sacrifice of movement in most [non athletic] jackets. Jacket fabrics don't stretch and when you raise your arms up (like if you pretend you have chicken wings) there is going to be bunching. For me if I let the back out then it doesn't look fitted from the back. It's a balancing game.

To Beefcake's comment: Agree that if you can't move in it, then it's too tight. But, I don't normally raise my arms to shoulder height when wearing jackets like this so it doesn't bother me. The closest I get is dancing (one arm on my wife's back, one holding her hand).

I would have to see the 42 on you but the 40's seem to fit you fine in the shoulder. If you size up to 42 it may end up being too big in the shoulders. I know a lot of people here seek out high arm holes (for good reason), but one of the benefits of a lower arm hole is a bit more slack and less twisting/bunching of the fabric when you raise your arms.

My Measurements: 6' 1" height, 35" sleeves, 41-42" chest/jacket, 35" waist, 34" inseam, 11.5D/EEE shoes, 200 lbs

Comment

Glen - oh that's good, I didn't know Tailors can do that. did it make a big difference?

YackoYak - Thanks for your comments. That was my main question for this thread; whether the restriction was normal or not. I was doing the shoulder raising since I thought that was one of the tests for proper fit. Looks like there is still no consensus about range of movement tho lol.

Comment

Acoustic,

That blazer fits you in the shoulders, but it has a very poor cut. There's not much you can do to improve it. The good news is that you have a build that should be easy to fit, and you seem to have good taste! I suggest returning it and finding a blazer that has a better cut.

Comment

the jacket has a very high gorge, which may be adding to the constriction...a good tailor should be able to let the back out a bit to help. For folks with more-muscular builds, I would try a little bit of a lower gorge...my 2 cents...

Comment

Fits you well in the shoulders and arms, and the sleeve length is perfect. But it's too tight around the stomach...

There's too much of an "hourglass" shape, especially in the 1st and 2nd pics. Granted, you do want it to "pinch" a little bit around the waist, and I like most get my jackets taken in. But, it's a tight rope walk - and in your pictures it makes you look heavy.

Most people in the "real world" will tell you the jacket is too tight, don't listen to them. Just try to get the sides let out a little bit, if your tailor can do that. And losing the sweater layered underneath should help too.

Comment

This is how jackets should fit, yours is very similar. I think it fits you really well. Remember, you're not playing football in your sport coat. Range of motion isn't ever going to be as good with the sport as without the sport coat.

http://gameofjacks.tumblr.com/post/8...end-thought-id

Comment

Fwiw, I tired on that jacket in 38--which is what I wear in every other brand--and it wasn't quite right. Tried on the 40 and it was much better. I expected the 40 to eat me alive, but it was quite a nice fit. Size up if you have to.

Comment

Thanks for that graphic Albert.

My Measurements: 6' 1" height, 35" sleeves, 41-42" chest/jacket, 35" waist, 34" inseam, 11.5D/EEE shoes, 200 lbs

Comment

It fits fine in the shoulders but the biggest problem with it is the button stance. Your top button should be where the bottom button is, around your navel.

Also, you should try it on without the sweater. It's going to be tighter and more constricting with the sweater and unless you're planning to usually put it over a sweater, that's not the fit you want to optimize for.

Comment

If there's one thing I'm good at, it's getting graphic.

Comment

Here's a great resource for how things fit, how a tailor looks at fit, and how to fix garments:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/265924/t...-demonstration

Comment

Working...
                              X