Cheap oxford shirts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheap oxford shirts?

Anyone got a tip for me on where to pick up oxfords without dropping much cash? I've got a closet full of bold-colored dress shirts, but very few in the light/pastel range. Not looking for anything particularly nice (I working in khaki/polo/gymshoe land), just something to throw on underneath a sweater or sports coat for work/casual wear.

Check out the article just posted on Dappered about the J Crew sale. The have oxfords in white and light blue under $30.

Comment

I know I'm absolutely going to get killed for this suggestion, but seriously check out J.C. Penney (especially online @ jcp.com). They make some really decent (emphasis on decent, not spectacular but not bad) oxfords for fairly cheap. Browse the clearance/sales section of the site and you can regularly find nice (enough) shirts in the sub-$25 (or even <$10) range in a variety of colors (including white) and patterns.

They probably won't land you a spread in GQ, but they will get the job done very nicely for the price (especially if they are being worn under-sweater or SC/blazer).

Comment

So, "cheap" is a relative term. Did you mean <$20, <$30, or <$50?

For me, the Neiman Marcus trim-fit is the best fit shirt under $50. Currently on sale, with free shipping (code FANN3) for $35. I know, not a true oxford since it lacks a button down collar and the fabric may be too nice.

http://www.lastcall.com/store/catalog/prod.jhtml?itemId=prod4480036&eItemId=prod4480036& cmCat=search&searchType=SEARCH&parentId=&icid=&rte =%252Fsearch.jhtml%253FN%253D0%2526Ntt%253Dtrim%25 2Bfit%2526_requestid%253D8472

If you want something really casual for less, I agree with bremersm. J. Crew is having a sale that puts these at $25 - $28 with code MUSTHAVE.

Optionally (and I know this gets brought up a lot):

(1) Thrift any cheap oxford that fits your neck and sleeves. $5 tops. You may get lucky with something trim fitting. OR (2) Go to a seamstress (cheaper than a tailor, may not need one here) and spend $10-15 bringing it in.

I know you said cheap and so fit may not matter to you much. I would consider how long you plan on having this shirt, I've had shirts for years that I wish I would have spent $10 more on (to get a better fit).

My Measurements: 6' 1" height, 35" sleeves, 41-42" chest/jacket, 35" waist, 34" inseam, 11.5D/EEE shoes, 200 lbs

Comment

Lands End is probably the lowest I will go...really like their BDOs.....and you can return them to any Sears, which is a bonus.....

If you want to spend a little less, you can go for broadcloth shirts instead of oxfords..

Seem to always have shirts for under $30 on clearance:

http://www.landsend.com/ix/overstock...eSize=24&tab=8

Comment

just bought a light blue ocbd from old navy for $18. i know old navy can be very dicey, but this purchase was surprisingly good.

Comment

For Cheap I wouldn't go without looking at your local Macys. I know a couple of Macys brands can be had for 25>. Bar III, Alfani shirts, and also Club Room. They all have fitted shirts and can be a great price during a sale. Now these shirts can go under a sweater and blazer as you mentioned, but may required to be tucked in. Im assuming since your wearing a blazer, that it would be tucked in. If thats the case, these will work. I know club room has some pastel colors, I just purchased a soft green one few weeks back.

Comment

Yeah, my Macy's always has sale bins of dress shirts for $25 and under. It can be a pain, but you can get some okay shirts there. They aren't going to be super high quality, but they can be acceptable. It's usually a lot of Van Heusen and Geoffrey Beene. If you can find the fitted ones it's worth it. If they're not fitted you have to factor in the $15 to get them tailored, and it's not worth it... At that price you can go to Charles Tyrwhitt or the Neimann Marcus listed above.

Comment

Thanks all for the input. As for cheap, I was pretty much thinking sub-$25 land. I've been getting into thrifting, but at this pont basically hit the jackets/suits, ties and shoes, which I can blow through in 15 minutes. I don't have the free time these days (wife is a pediatrics resident and we've got 2-year-old twins) to fight my way though the racks of shirts and pants.

And I'll probably get crucified for this one, but I tuck pretty much anything but a tee shirt in (and even that, sometimes). I'm 5'6" and a bit overweight (175lbs, but getting lighter!), and shirts that aren't tucked in either drape off my stomach, making me look heavier, or hang way too low (past my butt). Either way, not a good look. Trim fit shirts help with the former, but I just don't have many yet, as I always assumed they'd be too small and never bought them until recently. Tailoring would help with the latter, but at this point, I don't really own many shirts worth tailoring.

Comment

@Crewfish13, tucking in all your shirts isn't a bad thing I wish I did it more than I do outside of work. Keep at it.

Comment

I've been on the hunt also. Here are the 2 brands I've tried:

Lands End - Tailored Fit Button Down - $20 each on sale. I went a size down in the neck (15 instead of 15.5) since I'll never button the top button. Overall, the shirt was nice and slim. My major complaint was that with the top button unbuttoned, there wasn't much of a "v" shape. It kind of had a stuffy look because it almost felt like it was all the way buttoned up. Going up to a regular neck size might help, but I'm sure the shirt will be baggier.

Uniqlo - Bought a size small. Fits rather slim. Very nice, thick material. The neck has a similar issue with the "v" at the top, but seems better. $30.

Comment

I'm giving Macy's house brand Club Room a try. The fitted OCBD had high armholes and was actually pretty fitted, but a bit boxy. $50 retail, ~$35 when on sale, ~$20 on clearance, and then stack a 20% coupon on top of that and you've got a decent deal.

Comment

@ Glen: I might have to try those again sometime. I bought one Club Room Fitted dress shirt (without trying it on) and, to me, it seems almost the same as their regular stuff. I wonder if the OCBD's fit different than the others...

My Measurements: 6' 1" height, 35" sleeves, 41-42" chest/jacket, 35" waist, 34" inseam, 11.5D/EEE shoes, 200 lbs

Comment

Club Room Fitted is a trap. It's the same damn thing as their other shirts.

Comment

Hm, I listed it wrong. It's the CR by Club Room brand. Fitted. Specifically, the fitted shirts from the CR line are definitely narrower on the body. Like I said, they are still "boxy" as they don't taper enough towards the waist. They're still worth a try.

Comment

Working...
                              X