How the heck do I wear...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How the heck do I wear...?

I figured it would be handy to have a thread to use for all the "What do I wear with..." threads that inevitably pop up. What do ya'll have lurking in the backs of your closets that you need inspiration on how to wear?

I'll start: I went thrifting earlier and bought a black velvet sport coat for $3.50. It doesn't say what it is made of (which makes me suspect polyester), but it is Calvin Klein (France), originally purchased at Saks Fifth Avenue.

What the heck should I wear it with? (Assuming you think I should wear it at all. Not 100% sold on that myself)

Good thread idea:

wear it and judging from the label, i doubt its only poly...might be a blend...but to wear it i think dark blue jeans, a blue large print gingham shirt, and wingtips...any color you choose... i would wear a suede wingtip like the bass ones i have on today in the WIWT thread, but with a different sole. Its tough to really make an outfit without a pic...are the should padded and is the jacket unstructured?

"The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
    I>0<I

Comment

Agree with MaxMan. I would also wear it with gray chinos and a red gingham shirt. Or white shirt and a gray or purple v-neck and dark jeans. Lots of possibilities IMO.

My Measurements: 6' 1" height, 35" sleeves, 41-42" chest/jacket, 35" waist, 34" inseam, 11.5D/EEE shoes, 200 lbs

Comment

I have a picture in my WIWT Picasa album of me wearing a velvet black blazer a bit more formal style. But mine was worn with jeans as well. I had a grey express tx8 shirt, burberry tie, dark blue polo jeans, and suede grey clarks.

Picture# 4

https://picasaweb.google.com/104829482593742007184/WIWT?authkey=Gv1sRgCPSqveDTq_3mcw#5659311981849806 354

Hopefully it helps, and gives you an idea of what it may look like.

Comment

The jacket has shoulder pads that are about a 3.5 on the 1-10 poofyness scale. Not too structured, but not totally unstructured. It looks pretty similar to the one Tat posted, but the button stance on mine is lower, at least on me.

The muted color scheme works well with it in your pic, Tat. The other ideas are good, too. Thanks!

Comment

Like the above. Agree that with something like this that you are a little hesitant about wearing, getting comfortable with the piece and "atypical" style that you feel it conveys, sticking with things a bit more muted is best because it will look good (see Tat's pic) and you will feel like you look great (which is the number one key in terms of actually looking great).

Dark jeans, "casual" version of a nice shoe (suede wings, subtle suede shoes, well worn AE pebbled wings etc), quiet colored, large gingham, subtle plaid or solid, slim shirt would be my bet. Nothing flashy. If you feel like you'll hold onto it, make sure it fits well and get tailored to you if need be.

Enjoy!

Comment

Maybe you guys could help me. I've got a grey wool sportcoat with brown leather elbow patches. It's 50% sheep wool and 50% lamb wool, made in the US by Stafford.

I've worn it with a white button down, jeans, and brown shoes. It worked, but I'm looking for more options.

Suggestions?

Comment

Nick:

Without seeing the colors (charcoal or heather gray?), I think you can wear almost anything with it. Going from most conservative to least:

* Light, solid colored shirt (blue, purple, light gray), or gingham / checkered print (red, blue, whatever)

* Black, navy, or camel v-neck sweater, white shirt or colored shirt (solid or pattern), optional contrasting tie (burgandy, green, navy, etc)

Pants (other than dark denim which always works):

* Cords (brown, navy, gray+)

* Chinos (brown, navy, gray+)

+ Gray should not match the sport coat from a distance. Go for darker. Be careful of cold (blue) grays compared to warm (brown) grays. You need the warm ones here.

Shoes

Anything - from canvas shoes to leather boots in almost any color

My Measurements: 6' 1" height, 35" sleeves, 41-42" chest/jacket, 35" waist, 34" inseam, 11.5D/EEE shoes, 200 lbs

Comment

If you want to go a bit less conservative, it sounds to me like that blazer would be rockin with plaid under it. Like a flannel plaid shirt with a slimmer dark tie. Even something like this (but cheaper I'm assuming) http://www.bonobos.com/relwen-woodsman-workshirt-red-multi-plaid

Also, I 2nd Yacko's suggestions

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

Hm, some good suggestions you guys. The wool is like heather grey with touches of charcoal, along with dark brown wooden style buttons. It also has a tab under the colar, so you can pop it up and button the whole jacket closed. I really need to get a picture of this thing.

Comment

Nick, I'm picturing this, minus suede shoulder panel for the rifle butt:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_wJ1pJ2vTDNE/TQbhRYLAOAI/AAAAAAAAABo/A7ZpQEvMMjM/s1600/English+Hunting+Jacket.jpg

Or this, plus elbow pads, minus the purple

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-e2jWpxj3J7Q/Te0W9u_0pXI/AAAAAAAAAjA/KhYB11DVHUs/s1600/William_and_Son_Tweed_Jacket.jpg

Heh I like greg_s' suggestion. It's a rustic jacket so play into that and have fun with it. Just be careful so you don't make it into a costume.

Comment

I agree that you'd want to avoid being costumey with my suggestion, but I think that would be easy enough. Fitted dark jeans, cords, or chinos with wingtip boots on the bottom would do it.

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

Okay I recently bought a pair of Levi 514 Slim Straight Twill Pants in Grey or "Pewter" as they put it. I usually don't wear lighter pants what goes well with it? I Fill weird about trowing on a plaid shirt with it. Give me some good colors for shirts that go with it. Both T and button up.

http://us.levi.com/product/index.jsp...&clickid=prdsw

Comment

Yacko, it looks identical to the first one you posted (minus the leather shoulders). What's funny is I'm actually planning on using it as a costume for halloween. I'll be rocking a turtleneck and some vintage sunglasses with it for a 60's Steve McQueen look. (that is, though, that I also intend to make it wearable as a real item)

Beefcake, definitely try out plaid with it. My brother wears similar pants all the time and blue, black, and red long sleeve plaid shirts look great with them.

Comment

Beefcake, you have good taste when it comes to fits; the 514's have Levi's best silhouette. I'm not crazy about the light grey, but here's my advice: you need contrast. A light button down shirt with a dark cardigan or v-neck will look nice. The trick will be to avoid a monochromatic outfit.

Comment

Working...
                              X