Looking for some belts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for some belts

I'm looking to expand my repertoire of belts, especially as my shoes expand. Where do people like to get their belts? I'm looking for a suede or at least tan leather and also a Walnut or Chestnut leather belt. I'm open to other varieties as well. I've got both casual and dress in both med brown and black. I have found Coach to be a good source in the past, though I'm not sure if they make men's belts anymore.

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

This place was suggested by Putthison.com... I haven't needed a new belt since, but this is where I'm going to go:

http://www.narragansettleathers.com/

Comment

I was scrolling through those photos and terrified to see the prices. But $34 (at least for the style I'm looking at) is pretty reasonable for hand-crafted.

I'm bidding on a pair of chestnut-colored AEs on the Bay, and if I win them I will need a chestnut belt to match. I might have to pick up one from these guys.

Ben

Comment

Yeah, seriously affordable. I've got a chestnut belt from RL that I really like and I bought it ON SALE at Lord and Taylor for $40.

Comment

I am also in need for belts. I have my AE walnut Sanfords and I don't really have a belt that is Walnut color. Anyone recommend any department stores to look at. Specific brands they recommend as well.

Comment

I'm going to open myself up to criticism here and say that belts are one thing you should not invest a lot of money in. A belt is guaranteed to develop creases at the buckle. These creases will lead to fraying, discoloring, etc. This is the nature of the beast. My advice would be to hit up the nicer mall stores (Dillards, Nordstroms, etc) in your area during sales seasons. These stores clear their stock at the end of every season. Who cares if your belt is from the last season? No one will be able to tell. It's a belt. I bought my last dress belt for $24, marked down from some silly and exorbitant price.

Comment

Full-grain leather belts are expensive but will age well. Most of the designer belts we are used to are bonded or genuine leather. They will crease, seperate, and disintegrate in a short time. What goes for leather shoes goes for leather belts as well.

Here's what I'm going to do for myself and as Christmas presents: http://www.reddit.com/r/malefashionadvice/comments/k6uro/how_to_make_a_100_belt_on_the_cheap/

I forgot to mention the prices on this aforementioned site are good for full grain vegetable tanned leather belts - http://www.narragansettleathers.com/

You can usually expect to pay upwards of $60-$100 for a good quality, plain belt.

Comment

Dunno. That seems like a lot of work to save $15 vs. Naragansett Leathers.

I can definitely see the difference between how the belt I got at the Gap outlet is wearing vs. the nicer RL belt. I expect the hand tooled full-grain leather belts will hold up very well with a little care.

Comment

Yeah, the prices for Naragansett belts are really good for what you get. Hours of work for a belt or two to save $15 isn't worth it, but you get the benefit of wearing something of quality that you made yourself. Plus, you can stain it to whatever color you need. Then there's leather stamps and the fact that you'll only need 1 or 2 holes...

You just have to want to do it.

Comment

That Narragansett place seems pretty fantastic. Nice recommendation. I will most likely be ordering one of those. Any other good sources?

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

Here's another recommendation I found:

http://sartoriallyinclined.blogspot....her-belts.html

Comment

Nice links gents. Narragansett Leathers also makes some nice briefcases for $215 - $330.

Glen, thanks for posting the guide. I may make my own. I also saw instructions for a DIY card case and I might attempt a wallet.

My Measurements: 6' 1" height, 35" sleeves, 41-42" chest/jacket, 35" waist, 34" inseam, 11.5D/EEE shoes, 200 lbs

Comment

Working...
                        X