Length and width of jeans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Length and width of jeans?

Would you guys mind sharing your opinions on the proper leg opening of jeans and how long they should be? I know it depends on the on the shoes you are wearing and your height etc but I have a few pairs of jeans that I purchased a few years ago that were bootcut and I want to take them to the tailor to have them both hemmed and tapered from the knee down but am unsure of how wide or long I should make them. I would mostly wear them with clarks desert boots, clark wallabees both high and low, stafford wing boots, cole haan jayhawks, and the occasional boat shoe. The jeans I currently want to get tailored all have 8.5-9.5 leg openings.

Thanks to all who contribute!

One thing to keep in mind about tailoring denim jeans: Once you've owned and worn them for a long time, or even just a few wears, the color can change quite a bit and the traditional wear patterns of denim can become apparent. So having a pair that you've owned for several years tailored might cause some unexpected problems in terms of mismatches of color and wear patterns.

Comment

Thanks! I checked and they all seem in pretty good condition. I have a pretty extensive rotation of jeans so I should be ok.

Comment

In my opinion, I definitely would like my jeans tapered more than I suppose most traditional fits tend to be. I just measured a few of my pants and I think the sweet spot for me is at around 7.5 inches. I have a pair of Levi's 511 which are actually rather tight on me and have a 7 inch opening. I also have a pair of better fitting LEC jeans from way back when at just over 7.5 which I always thought looked a bit off because it's not hemmed at my preferred length. And I would say I enjoy wearing the 511's more because they look better overall even though it's a little bit tighter.

So I guess for me it's a combination of denim being the right length and the right taper. If either one of those is a bit off, it makes the entire thing look worse.

Comment

7.5-8 inches.

Comment

I am a very skinny 6'1" guy and I like my jeans untapered from the knee down. IE a slim straight fit. Usually those jeans have a 8-8.5" leg opening in my waist size (true 31-32"). I tend to think those jeans fit me about like 501s fit more normal sized folks. Not tight but not swimming in them either. It really is just personal preference. I consider my preferences to be more traditional than the current style. As long as you aren't wearing baggy jeans I doubt anyone really cares.

EDIT: As far as length. Depends if you are willing to cuff your jeans. I have had no success with cuffed jeans not looking retarded. This may be because they do better on tapered jeans, not sure. I tend to stick with a length that hits my shoe when standing/walking but will show my socks when sitting.
            Last edited by thepenguin99; December 12, 2012, 02:05 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X