What size leg openings do you prefer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What size leg openings do you prefer?

Most of my pants are about 8" (flat across the hem) and I can't help but feel like I should go a bit slimmer, maybe 7.5". I'm 5'6", moderately athletic build, and finding pants that have enough room in the thighs/seat but are narrow below the knee seems impossible. But maybe I'm overthinking it? What does everyone here prefer?

I go 7.5" (15") at the leg opening for all my chinos. However, I have two pairs of flannel pants that need tailoring and I think I may go 7.625" (15.25") just to make it look more traditional. 8" on me is way to wide.

BTW, i'm 6'2" 180lb slim frame.

Comment

I just got some tapered down to 8" and it works well for me. I'm 5'11" 195 and kind of stocky

Comment

I've never really measured. Until just a couple years ago, I really thought I had too much junk in my trunk to pull off "slim" pants. I was wearing almost exclusively straight-leg and bootcut. But I tried on a pair of Levi's 514s on a whim and was surprised at how good I looked in a slimmer-cut pant.

Like I said, I don't know the measurements, but most of the pants I wear these days are pretty similar in fit to the 514s. I tried on a pair of "skinny" jeans the other day, and after a good lol, took them back off again. I think I'll stick with slim for now.

I'm 5'9", 145 lbs and built like a soccer player - slender up top, pretty meaty bum/legs.

P.S. I was chuffed to hear on the radio the other day that for men, butts are the new abs. All that squatting, lunging, and inability to find proper-fitting trousers will finally pay off!

Ben

Comment

I have 514s in a 30x30 and I believe the leg openings were 8". oddly, they look slimmer on me at the bottom than some other pants I have that are also 8". when I bought them I tried the skinny model as well, and I too had a good lol. I'm wondering if skinny/tapered just doesn't work if your legs themselves aren't actually skinny, thigh to calf.

Comment

My pant's are all around 8.5" at the leg openings. I'm 6'2" and pretty muscular, and going too small makes me look unbalanced. I have a couple of pairs of pants at about 9" that I'd like to bring down to about 7.5", but the cost of tailoring is high enough in my area that I'm not going to bother.

Comment

I like around 8" across, sometimes less. 514s (maybe they're larger for my size? 34/32) seem to have somewhat wide openings compared with what I'd like. I have a pair of borderline skinny/slim jeans which are probably around 7.5" and have no break. I like that.

@BenR I've got some junk in the trunk too, and only a couple years ago realized that's totally fine and I don't have to wear straight/bootcut stuff. Been a nice change.

Comment

It's a delicate balance for me. I have large thighs and some "donk" as the wife calls it, but my calves are tiny. Trying to go too tapered leaves me looking like I have child-bearing hips. I actually appreciate boot-cut pants because they balance me out.

Comment

I go for 7.5" or even 8". I recently ordered a few pairs of Dockers Alpha Khakis and they were so severely slim that I returned them. I like a clean look, but when it gets "skinny" that's too much for me.

Comment

for the longest time, I stuck around sub-8" territory (around the 7.5 ballpark) but I recently bought some less casual pants that are 8.5" and I like them a lot more than I thought I would. comfortable, plus I wear a lot of boots so they fit over the shoe nicely.

Comment

Working...
                    X