Is this watch too big?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this watch too big?

I have very dainty wrists, as you can see. So is this watch the right size? Or is it too large for me?

Thanks for your input!

(Stats: my wrist is 6 3/4". The watch case is 42mm.)
    Yes, it's too big.
    80.00%
    Nope. Other way, braugh - too small.
    0.00%
    Jjjuussttt right
    20.00%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by pensotroppo; December 9, 2012, 11:28 PM.

You will encounter people of two minds about this. The predominant approach to watch size is that a watch whose lugs don't overhang over the sides of your wrist, is not "too big." Basically, people who follow this approach ask "Is the watch literally too big for your wrist?" If the answer is no, then the watch isn't too big. The desirable watch aesthetic for this approach is that a watch face should cover all or most of the wrist.

The second approach is more conservative. It asks "Is the watch appropriately sized for your wrist?" Even if the watch "fits," it may be too big. The aesthetic for this approach is that the watch face should cover 1/2 - 2/3rds of the wrist. I personally ascribe to the second approach. But, due to the current size trends of watches and my own very small wrists, I often end up breaking my own rules. I own a few watches that are not appropriately-sized to my wrist, even if they aren't technically "too big" by the lug overhang test.

To me, the watch looks pretty big on your wrist. Especially due to the style, which is on the dressy side. But most people probably wouldn't notice or care.

Really, what it boils down to is whether you like the way the watch looks on your wrist and whether it's comfortable to wear.
    Ben

Comment

You and I have the same wrist size. The dial not the case makes the true visual impact. A diver with a bezel at 42mm is perfect for me. Without a bezel 38mm is about max for me.

large watches are trendy so you can swing it but i would down size for business attire.

Comment

P.S. Your wrists aren't as dainty as you think! There was a wrist size poll on the Watchuseek forums a while back. It got nearly 500 votes and the 6.5-6.75" category was the peak of the bell curve.

It seems to be pretty common that men with average wrists think their wrists are small, and men with large wrists think theirs are average. I'm pretty sure this is a function of the oversized watch trend and the fact most watches made today only look "normal" on men with very large wrists.
        Ben

Comment

Looks like what my watch does on my wrist and it is a 44mm. Not overly big and not small enough to look like a dime on a string so you are good to go!

Comment

i have the same wrist size as you. I have like 9-11 watches and they're all 37-40 mm diameter without lugs. With lugs, the largest one is 46 mm

Comment

I think that watch is about maximum size for you. This is kinda like the current short jacket vs regular length jacket argument you see today. Modern trend sizing vs classic sizing. That watch would have been considered large 10-20 years ago. Today, not so much, as watches are trending larger and larger. I was looking at watches in Macy's yesterday in the womens section and was AMAZED. They were as large as mens watches. 36-39mm seemed common, some were over 40mm. Went over to check out the mens section and was hard pressed to find anything that would fit me (6" wrist). Also, your wrists aren't dainty @ 6.75". That is pretty average.

Comment

There are tons of differring opinions. Wear the watch with confidence my friend.

Comment

I think it looks great.

Comment

Seems a bit large to me, but it is not ridiculously so. Do you need to get it under a shirt cuff?

Comment

Originally posted by JoshuaNY View Post
                      Seems a bit large to me, but it is not ridiculously so. Do you need to get it under a shirt cuff?
                      Haha! Love it.

I felt like it was too big for my taste when I got it - but maybe I'm out of touch with things? (I usually dress conservatively with one item that pops (usually my giant glasses). And that watch, at that size, would always occupy that position.)

Thanks for your opinions, guys. Since I AM conscious about how big it is, back it goes!

Comment

A bit large for my taste - I think 40mm would look a bit more proportional.

Comment

This seemed as appropriate a thread as any. I just received this watch as a gift. It's quartz movement, but is quiet. I really like the subdued chrono elements and brown coloring. It seems like it can span casual (so the large face seems more OK) but could also go a little bit dressy. I measure it as 47mm (it's from the outside of the bezel, right, not just the face)? And it's way bigger than the Timex Weekenders I've been wearing. Too big for my wrist?

Comment

I'd have to get a further away shot but I'd say its too big. Also, most quartzes outside of timex are silent.

Comment

Sorry, wasn't sure what the proper distance was.

I'm afraid that if I have to ask, it probably means it's too big:

Comment

Working...
                              X