Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I wear a tie with an Oxford Button Down Collar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I wear a tie with an Oxford Button Down Collar?

Strictly casual of course. And should it always be buttoned if I do?
    42" Chest 32" Waist 6' Tall 185 lbs.

In my opinion, it depends on the collar. If you've got OCBDs like Brooks Brothers or Lands End (the "dress" ones, not the "sports" ones), go for it. The collars are big enough to handle a tie. If you've got ones like J Crew and Lands End Canvas, I'd avoid a tie. The collars are too small and tend to look a little strange with ties.

Comment

I wear ties with OCBDs all the time.

Always button the collar buttons when you wear the shirt. I only unbutton mine to put a tie or, or when I'm laundering the garment (so the back of the collar doesn't crease funny).

OCBDs don't HAVE to be worn casually. Just make sure you match the sportiness or texture of your shirt with all the other elements of your outfit. For example, you shouldn't wear a heavy OCBD with a silk satin tie and a worsted wool suit. But an OCBD with a textured tie, tweedy jacket, and jeans can work really well.
      Ben

Comment

I think that's known as the "American style" so of course you can.

Comment

This is going a little off topic here, but LBD brings up a point I've been thinking about recently: I can't think of a time or occasion where a satin tie would look good. I know it's supposed to be reserved for formal occasions, but I just don't like the look even in that setting. Something about it is just fake or cheap to me.

Comment

Out of curiosity where did you get that cardigan? I'm in the market for a thicker charcoal colour just like it.

Comment

The cardigan is from Target, but I got it over a year ago and they haven't carried anything exactly like it since then. They've got some other styles of cardigans, though.

As far as satin ties go, I agree they aren't the best and aren't very versatile. But if you work in a very conservative profession, such as finance or the law, you can still get a lot of use out of them. For semi-formal occasions, a solid black, charcoal, or navy tie in satin or grosgrain is perfectly appropriate.
              Ben

Comment

I do it all the time.

Comment

Where's that dark grey blazer from in the 3rd picture? Very Slick.

Comment

Originally posted by cadds18 View Post
                    Where's that dark grey blazer from in the 3rd picture? Very Slick.
                    J.Crew Ludlow in wool herringbone.
                    Ben

Comment

Working...
                    X