Should I get this suit tailored?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I get this suit tailored?

Several months ago, before I started reading Dappered and getting a better understanding of Men's style in general, I ordered this suit off of Overstock. I had credit to the website from some furniture I had purchased, so I bought it on a whim. I just put the thing on tonight, and I feel like I'm swimming it the fabric. Not only is it a larger cut, but I also have lost 35 pounds since I purchased the suit. Would it be financially responsible to go get the entire thing tailored, or should I just forget about it all together? First off, it fits pretty well in the shoulders, and the length is about right. The armholes aren't too high, but it isn't uncomfortable to the point where I wouldn't wear it. I would appreciate some input. Just wondering how much it would most likely cost to have a tailor do a complete overhaul. Thanks in advance.

http://www.overstock.com/Clothing-Sh...1/product.html

Could better judge if we had pictures of you wearing it, but if you've since lost 35 pounds, I'd say it should probably be tailored (as with every suit)

you can probably take the sides of the jacket in a bit and have the pants slimmed a bit at the very least, if the length of the pants and length of the sleeves fit you correctly.

Comment

Yeah, post some pics. Fitting in the shoulders is the most important part. A good tailor can work the rest of it to fit you better.

Comment

I've read that Abboud makes ok pieces for the price. If it fits in the shoulders I would say get it tailored around the waist. If it doesn't fit in the shoulders then sell it on eBay, tailor's can't fix that.

Comment

Yea, we need pics. Here are some things that might be wrong on the suit after you lost weight.

Alterable: sleeves too wide, waist too big, pant waist too big, pant legs too big

hard/expensive changes to fix: chest too big, shoulders too big

If two or three of the alterable things need to be done, by all means alter it. If they all need to be done or if one of the bottom two are a problem, then you might just want to get a new suit.

Comment

Oh, and congrats on losing the weight :P

The bad news: I had to buy a whole new wardrobe after losing a comparable amount of weight. I went from 190 to 155, though, so your change might not be quite as drastic as mine was. Either way, it was totally worth it.

Comment

Same as @Big_Scooter. Went from 192 to 159 and have spent the last year and a half buying a new wardrobe. Properly this time. In fact, this is how I came across Dappered.com.

Congrats and Condolences. May your new suit flatter the hell out of you.

Comment

If you lost that much weight, I say you owe it to yourself to go out and purchase a new suit! If you start with a suit that fits you properly in store, and then go ahead and have it fine tuned from your tailor, well than you will look twice as good after losing that kind of weight!

~Congrats!!

Comment

Working...
                X