peacoat or not to peacoat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

peacoat or not to peacoat

Im 5"10" and weigh about 210. I have big shoulders and generally speaking a big guy. Question is, should i get a peacoat or a something that is single breasted? I think a double breasted peacoat with its double row of buttons would have a boxy type look and make me look bigger. However, I was told that a bridge coat, which is just like a peacoat but extends below the buttocks and around to the knees would look better on me. The longer lenght would have a more slimming effect.

Or should i just go with a single breasted coat?

thoughts and opinions

I'm 5'10" and about 195, and I love my peacoat. I guess it depends on how you carry your weight. I have pretty big shoulders and arms and my chest is bigger than my waist by about 6 inches, so I'm not really v-shaped, more barrel chested, but a little tapered... The peacoat emphasizes the v-shape, IMO.

Comment

my shoulders are about 4 inches bigger than my wasit. One one of my facebook photos, my current peacoat looks like a hefty bag on me. Someone suggest that I wear a longer style peacoat. Do you think that will help?

Comment

I think it can be pulled off by most mature men, but it seems to be most flattering for slender or, as Jason said, v-shapes. But I would say in most cases it is definitely still nice looking.

Comment

If your peacoat looks like a hefty bag on you it probably just doesn't fit. Can you post the picture? If you like the material of the current peacoat you could have it tailored to suppress the waist and make it fit better, or you could go look for a slimmer cut coat that's more flattering.

Comment

I'm 5'11 at weigh 225. I'm a bigger guy but have broad shoulders and big arms. I wear a 44R because of my shoulders and always have to have my waist taken in on coats or jackets. I wear a double breasted peacoat and it has a slimming affect on myself. Now, I tailored my peacoat to fit nice and snug for that exact reason. I can wearing a shirt / tie or even a sweater underneath the peacoat no problem. Go try it on in store, depending on where you live, you can get away with a peacoat that isn't so heavy and bulky. I got mine from Old Navy (which isn't your military issued peacoat) for 30 dollars on a huge sale they had last season. I think regular price was around a bill. For where I reside, it does the trick just fine. If I need to stay warmer than that, I use a scarf and some gloves.

Comment

Funny, I got my peacoat last year at Old Navy too, for around $40. It's by far the best constructed thing I've ever gotten at Old Navy. I live in the land of 100" of snow per year and wore it all last winter as my winter coat.

Comment

So fall and winter are fast approaching here, and I was hoping I could get your opinions on favorite peacoats.

I've been eyeing the J Crew Bayswater peacoat lately.

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/o...7195/87195.jsp

Comment

for that price, just buy the "real" one

http://www.schottnyc.com/products/fabric/wool/classic-32-oz-melton-wool.htm

been making them for the navy for a hundred years

Comment

Hey Ben, I've tried on the Schottnyc Peacoat before, and it is really heavy and stiff. I mean I don't doubt it does the job, but its not for me. In fact my local Burlington Coat Factory is full of them for like 100 bucks. If anyone were that serious about getting one, I'd start there for the price.

Comment

yeah, they're definitely heavy. but equally as warm.

I have an old peacoat from A&F I think, that I wear 80% of the time, it's lighter and moves better, but when it's cold the schott one is money. they get softer over time as well I'd imagine, I got mine used, and have had it for a few years, and it's not stiff

Comment

Working...
                      X