Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Affordable Suits for Wedding Party

Gentlemen -

Long time reader, first time post-er... My buddy is getting married in San Diego this May and I'm one of the groomsmen. As the most sartorially inclined of the 6 of us, he has put me in charge of making us look good on the wedding day.

Pretty much all my suits are the J. Crew Ludlow variety and they fit like a glove. That's the ideal cut I'm looking for - slim lapel, double vent, etc. The problem is, there are 6 of us of varying heights and sizes (including one guy with a 52R jacket). I'm thinking of doing one of the online custom shops like Indochino, but would love to hear what you all have to say and if you have any experience with any of these online shops. We also don't want to break the bank... hopefully try to stay in the $300-$400 range.

Let me know if I didn't share something that would help you with the recommendations. I appreciate your feedback!!

- Carlos

Originally posted by lositilos View Post
    We also don't want to break the bank... hopefully try to stay in the $300-$400 range.
    For sake of clarification, I presume you mean $300-$400 per person and not for all six of you?

Comment

Originally posted by Longshanks View Post
      For sake of clarification, I presume you mean $300-$400 per person and not for all six of you?
      Correct. $300-$400 per person. Thanks!

Comment

If you are trying to cover everyone, including the taller gentleman, I think a MTM would be your best bet. I was about to suggest J Crew's Thompson, but the biggest they have is a 46R.

As for MTM, I have only used Indochino. I can wholeheartedly recommend them
        "We had a sick night b*tches!"

Comment

glad to hear from someone who's tried it. Thanks!

Comment

Is this going to be a situation where everyone wears, for all intents and purposes, the same suit? Or will you be dressing according to what 'suits' you? If so, how much variation are we working with?

Comment

good question.. we are all wearing the same suit. so basically, I'm in the market for six identical suits.

Comment

Due to the larger groomsman, MTM would be the best. Indochino is solid option, I've had great experiences with them. I have never needed a suit to be remade, however, with 6 people there is a good chance one suit will need to be remade. Make sure you give yourself enough time to have a suit to be remade. I would suggest order suits at least 3-4 months before your wedding.

Does anyone else not like this movement on men all wearing the same suit at a wedding? In 3 or the last 4 weddings I have been, in I've had to a buy a new suit. Granted, each time the groom covered part of the cost. But the suits typically ordered are the boxier/lower quality brands (Alfani Red was the brand for 2 weddings, and a Men's Wearhouse for the other). So pretty much I'm spending $200 ish dollars for a suit I'll wear once. Now, I know how bridesmaids feel with respect to dresses. I liked to better when it was just wear your best Navy 2 button suit.

Comment

I'm not a fan of the 'chorus line' thing. I only had one groomsman and I let him dress himself.

Still, different customs, settings, preferences, etc. prevail. I won't rush to judgment!

Comment

OP, where in San diego is the wedding taking place? let me know so i can do a wedding crasher. :lol

Comment

I just got married and let my groomsmen pick what they wanted to wear as long as it was gray. I wore a gray Indochino and the other guys all had varied shades of gray. I thought it looked great and dont really get the matchy-matchy look.

My experience with Indochino was ok. Had one remake and the suit was still a bit tight. They definitely make their suits for people who are very thin, so if you have an athletic build, be prepared for a remake. The quality was fine though and its probably your best bet in that price range.

Comment

Originally posted by zmac View Post
                        I just got married and let my groomsmen pick what they wanted to wear as long as it was gray. I wore a gray Indochino and the other guys all had varied shades of gray. I thought it looked great and dont really get the matchy-matchy look.
                        The all-matching thing looks juvenile, especially on men.

Comment

Originally posted by JT10000 View Post
                          The all-matching thing looks juvenile, especially on men.
                          Could you clarify what you mean? Do you mean having all your groomsmen wear the same thing looks juvenile or do you mean having the groomsmen wear outfits that are "all-matching" is juvenile? Your response could greatly alter what I'd originally planned to write.

Comment

Originally posted by jputman08 View Post
                            Could you clarify what you mean? Do you mean having all your groomsmen wear the same thing looks juvenile or do you mean having the groomsmen wear outfits that are "all-matching" is juvenile? Your response could greatly alter what I'd originally planned to write.
                            I don't understand the difference between the two things you wrote above. I think they're both the same. But to be clear, I mean each person wearing the same thing as the others - it looks like the guys are not capable of dressing nicely on their own.

Here is some perspective on this from Style Forum http://www.styleforum.net/a/what-sho...omsmen-to-wear
                            Last edited by JT10000; December 6, 2012, 07:06 PM.

Comment

I agree that having groomsmen completely match looks a little weird. As with bridesmaids in all the same dress. A wedding party is not a military unit... why the need for such absolute uniformity? I think it's a better idea to have a set color palette (charcoal suit with light blue shirt and purple tie, for example) rather than forcing the groomsmen to all buy and/or rent the same thing. Give them matching boutonnieres to tie them all together.

The non-matchy route lets people be more themselves, be comfortable in clothes they probably already own, and saves them a lot of money. The result looks pretty good, IMO:

My suggestion would be to put together a look you like and share it with your groomsmen-to-be. Give them some links to different places to buy the stuff they need if they don't already own it.

This look is probably most effective when both the groomsmen and bridesmaids are given the free reign to choose their own attire. It might look odd for one side to match when the other doesn't.
                              Last edited by LesserBlackDog; December 6, 2012, 07:38 PM.
                              Ben

Comment

Working...
                              X