• Show
Clear All

More versatile: Jcrew Brown Herringbone or Rep of Bananas Taupe Tweed

Jcrew: http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/s...0948/30948.jsp

BR: https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...M9zKhdRNfi9zPQ
    (no longer on BR's website)

Taupe Tweed

Comment

The BR is probably more versatile but the JC jacket is sweet!

Comment

I have the JCrew one. It's really a great jacket. You have to like the modern cut -- it's got the skinny lapels and it is a bit cropped in length -- but the fabric is incredible. Very soft for a tweed, and I wear it all the time -- going to a bar, to dinner, as well as to work. I haven't seen the BR one in person, so maybe it is more versatile. But the J Crew one works very well in many different environments for me.

Comment

heh I had it in my cart yesterday trying to decide since I've splurged a bit on sportcoats lately (mostly BR's from F&F). Is 30% off full price typically the best they do? I heard the best is 50% off instore BF, but this is an online only item.

Comment

i've worn the taupe with cords, dress pants and even the ridiculously bright JC chinos, but it appears the JC one is more formal if that makes sense. Definitely more dressed up looking

Comment

I have the BR taupe tweed jacket and love it. It even has functional buttons.

Comment

Originally posted by printyra View Post
                I wish it didn't. Makes altering the sleeves near-impossible.

Personally, I find functional buttons on anything but bespoke/MTM jackets to be kind of silly.

Comment

Originally posted by printyra View Post
                  I am so fed up with everyone doing functional buttons. I keep falling in love with jackets and then having to pass on them because of my stupid T-Rex arms. Even cheap blazers have them now. It's not like they're really adding any functionality to the garment. >

Comment

I love that jcrew blazer, I dont know how versatile it is, but I think is looks amazing. I also tend to like jcrew sleek and slim cut more than BR.

Comment

Originally posted by s_crane View Post
                      I love that jcrew blazer, I dont know how versatile it is, but I think is looks amazing. I also tend to like jcrew sleek and slim cut more than BR.
                      I have this particular BR blazer. It's beautiful. It is also cut slimmer than any of my other jackets. J. Crew and BRs fit me just right, this one I have to have taken out in the waist about an inch (whenever I finally get the time to get to the tailor.)

Comment

Initially, I was trying to decide whether to return my BR one (IronRinn: I sized up to 38S so that it would button, all my other BR's are 36R or S) and pick up the Jcrew, but I think I'd like to pick up the Jcrew as an addition the next time there's a full price sale. I'm trying to see if it matches anything other than dark jeans/shirt.

Comment

Oh, I thought "versatile" as in "does it dress up and down." Yeah, the color on the JCrew Harvest Herringbone is versatile -- it's a medium brown and dark brown herringbone. I wear it with J Crew's slim-straight cords in light and also dark grey, and it looks great. I even wear it with navy wool slacks. There are some pics of me wearing it with these pants buried in the WIWT thread. I don't wear it with brown pants, but you could probably pull off a light khaki if you wanted to, I think.

Comment

Like I said above, I haven't seen the BR one, so I can't compare.

Comment

I'm going strictly by the shade/color. My vote is for the Taupe Tweed. But why not get both!?
                              42" Chest 32" Waist 6' Tall 185 lbs.

Comment

Working...
                              X