Matching Pants for Suit Jacket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matching Pants for Suit Jacket

After way too long visiting the forum as a lurker, I'm joining the fray. Here we go...

I'm wondering whether it's possible to find matching pants when you have only the suit jacket. As part of its 50% sale, Mr. Porter has a JCrew Ludlow suit jacket (https://www.mrporter.com/product/301852) but doesn't have the pants. I ordered the jacket with the hopes of finding the matching pants elsewhere (eBay or JCrew store). Does anyone have any experience doing this?

I looked online and the only info I can find is posts on StyleForum that say it's absolutely impossible. My impression of SF posters is that anything other than a MTM bespoke suit is unacceptable. JCrew must have thousands of charcoal Italian Loro Piana wool pants that would match, right? Is there that much variation for a chain store like JCrew?

I do have experience doing this. A few years ago I bought a blazer from express that I loved but they didn't make matching pants for it. Two months later, they released a pair of slacks made from the exact same material / color and I matched them up. Whether it's waiting around or doing a bit more due diligence and calling around, you can find something to match, especially with a classic color like black. Most stores are able to check the surrounding area for the item your requesting and if they don't have it, it would be worth calling the outlets.

Comment

I'd say you'd be pretty sure of getting a matching pair of pants if you move quickly. This looks like the current line of J.Crew (Mr. Porter is hardly a discount reseller!) so I'd go into a store and check it out. but make sure you see an in person, side-by-side match, because just off is worse than completely off. I'm also not sure Outlet stores will be that helpful because they tend to carry Factory rather than mainline.

I think the SF guys are wary of buying stuff that might be a little older from Ebay. I've got a "Cambridge" J.Crew jacket I got from Ebay. Its a three button to give you a sense of its vintage and I'm pretty sure I'll never find matching pants for it.

Comment

You may be able to find the same brand, style, and, color but they may not match exactly

From my understanding if the jacket and pants are not made from the same bolt of fabric that was dyed the same and worked the same, they will never be exactly alike. I would worry that it would look like I am trying to match them.

I would err on the side of caution and use it as an odd jacket.

Comment

There's another issue here that hasn't been considered yet. If the jacket has been to the cleaners (and I'm assuming it has), the color may have changed. It may be very subtle, but it's the kind of thing that would be noticeable against another piece that HASN"T been cleaned. Pairing it with new pants, even if you can find them, may not work. It's entirely possible that this wouldn't be an issue, but it's also very possible that it would...

Comment

Originally posted by ryan View Post
            Whether it's waiting around or doing a bit more due diligence and calling around, you can find something to match, especially with a classic color like black.
            I actually had a harder time trying to find matching black pants to a suit coat that I had than any other color. As for the OP, you could give it a shot, but I don't think you will be able to find a pair that matches. They make so many different cuts, colors, and fabrics that you'll just go crazy buying and returning the wrong thing over and over again.

Comment

I don't think it's impossible, but it's going to be difficult.

One of your best options may be to call J. Crew customer service and see what they can do for you. Tell them you have the suit coat in that color (whether you should tell them that you bought it from someone else other than them or say something about the pants getting irreparably damaged, someone else can weigh in on) and ask them if there is any way to acquire the pants. J. Crew makes a big deal of having very good customer service so I'd be inclined to think that they'd be willing to do everything in their power to get you the right pair of pants. Nevertheless, don't get talked into buying something that's "close" until you've done an in person comparison.

Keep in mind, it may simply come down to the fact that you'll never find a perfect match.

Comment

Originally posted by alan View Post
                There's another issue here that hasn't been considered yet. If the jacket has been to the cleaners (and I'm assuming it has), the color may have changed. It may be very subtle, but it's the kind of thing that would be noticeable against another piece that HASN"T been cleaned. Pairing it with new pants, even if you can find them, may not work. It's entirely possible that this wouldn't be an issue, but it's also very possible that it would...
                Very good point.

Comment

Shipment arrives today, so I'll be able to do a side-by-side comparison. I'm optimistic. I suspect, since JCrew sell their suits as separates, they frequently have to order mix and match jackets and pants. For instance, if the standard drop is 6 inches and the customer needs an 8 inch drop, JCrew is going to have to find him a different pair of pants. If it doesn't work out, both items are returnable. I'll report back with how it goes.

Comment

Jacket (from Mr Porter) and pants (from eBay) arrived today. I really can't tell if there's a difference. My wife and I stared while I was wearing both together and concluded that if we couldn't see a difference then somebody who's not looking for it won't. Looks like a matching Ludlow suit for $280.

At this point, the only thing I'm questioning is the narrow lapels. I'm planning on using this suit for job interviews and I wonder whether the look is too modern. I'm probably overthinking it as people in my field (education) tend not to care about style in the slightest.

Comment

Working...
                    X