Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Questions about my Factory Thompson Wool Suits...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions about my Factory Thompson Wool Suits...

So I've had the Factory suit in 80/20 since earlier this year - fit out of the box is great.

I decided to jump on the wool versions at $156 bucks each in Navy & Charcoal. Love the colors of both...

There's some serious padding in the shoulders, but it seems to extend at least an inch or so into the arms - and they jut out a bit...

Can a tailor fix this?? The coats are almost perfect, but the shoulders are throwing me off a bunch.

Will I notice a different after getting them pressed? Should I have them pressed BEFORE I look into tailoring?

The pants are great.

Any tips?

Tailors usually won't mess with shoulder padding. Not sure if there are any other options.

Comment

Originally posted by jputman08 View Post
      Tailors usually won't mess with shoulder padding. Not sure if there are any other options.

Hmm.. they just seem abnormally bulky and kinda poorly done...

Comment

I think your only option is to size down.

I think the Thompson suit is a bit overrated in these parts. I have one and it's ok and probably can't do better for the price, but the fit is just a little off for me. It doesn't really drape like I want (suit separates in the truest sense) and yeah the material and construction is obviously far from the best.

Like I said, it is probably the best option at that price point, but for my next suit I'm gonna save and go Suit Supply instead of another Thompson.

Comment

Originally posted by noahf View Post
          Hmm.. they just seem abnormally bulky and kinda poorly done...
          http://www.gq.com/style/style-guy/su.../shoulder-pads

Comment

Thanks.

Can't size down. I won't fit. I wonder if they just need a press..
            I wore mt other 80/20 factory suit today, and it's so nice...

I suppose I can just take em back and buy a regular JCrew Suit.

Comment

It won't fit because the torso is too trim or because you're already on the lowest size? If it's the former, you could always get the sides let out, but that may be more trouble and money than it's worth.

That GQ article is good. I will only buy a jacket if the shoulders and arm holes are perfect for my body. Granted, that means that 90% of what I try on is unacceptable. It can get frustrating at times but worth it when you find the right fit.

Comment

I had my tailor remove a slight bit of shoulder padding from a suit I bought from Bonobos. Even though he could only remove a slight bit, it really helped. If you get the right tailor, he can provide high quality alterations.

Comment

I thought the thompson suit had minimal shoulder padding? (according to the dappered review anyways). I put one on my christmas list, you got me worried now!

Comment

I have the gray 100% wool Thompson suit and I'd definitely describe it as a minimal shoulder padding. I'm not sure if the 80/20 is built differently in the shoulders.

Comment

I have the navy wool Thompson and my observation is that it has fairly minimal padding in the shoulder. Certainly much less than department store "slim fit" brands like Alfani Red, Calvin Klein, Tommy Hilfiger, Hugo Boss, Kenneth Cole, Michael Kors, etc.
                      Ben

Comment

Do we really need 10 different Thompson threads

Comment

Originally posted by zmac View Post
                          Do we really need 10 different Thompson threads
                          haha, maybe there should just be a "Official J Crew Factory Thompson" thread.. :P jk.

Comment

I actually just got the Thompson 80/20 in charcoal and the shoulder pads seemed great to me, especially for the price. I don't have many suits and am just getting started but for my size I am at that awkward "should be a 39R" size, I am pretty excited when something fits nicely. The only problem is personal preference really and that is how low the lapels hang. I feel like there is just to much space and looks slightly awkward if you want to go casual and not wear a tie.

Comment

How are the colors? The "charcoal" looks more like a medium gray in the picture. And the "heathered gray" looks much darker, like an actual charcoal.

Would these jackets (the navy or maybe the "charcoal", if it's actually medium gray) work as a blazer? I was looking for a blue blazer and I want one that doesn't have the gold buttons. And how slim are they exactly? I have slim arms but I have a gut. Not a big one, but it's there. Do you have to have a flat stomach to wear these?

Comment

Working...
                              X