Help! Deconstructing a look :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help! Deconstructing a look :)

Hi guys, I saw this look from another website sometime ago, and really loved it. I want to gather the pieces and give the look a try, and was wondering if anyone knows any pieces similar to the picture below? What are some details that you guys noticed about the look?

Thanks!

I'm not really on board with this. I can see how someone could do the denim shirt thing well, but unbuttoning it to the navel isn't it, as far as I'm concerned. Also, I'm intrigued by the material of the jacket, but it looks way too little on that guy - and I'm generally pretty tolerant of short jackets. And maybe it's the light (for his sake, I hope so), but his hair kind of has an odd frosted tips thing going on.

All of those criticisms aside though (sorry) the color palette he's working with is pretty good. I like the light blue shirt under a camel-ish jacket with some navy pants held up by a walnut (I guess) belt.

But seriously, what is that jacket made of? I'm looking at this on my phone and it looks like heavy linen or sisal or something.

Comment

To me it almost looks like tweed but 1) it's khaki and 2) it's apparently being worn in summer. Neither of those are things generally done with tweed.

Comment

Something like this, perhaps? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Loro-Piana-S...item53f0f6a185

Comment

You sure? It looks like a wool herringbone pattern
          Dress for style, live for results.

Comment

Not a fan of the way that jacket fits him. Too big in the shoulders, too short in the sleeves and body. Based on the material and the patch pockets, I'm guessing it's vintage. Stuff like this definitely shows up in my local thrift stores from time to time. I actually have a pretty similar wheat-colored wool blazer gathering dust in my closet as I decide whether or not it's worth tailoring. I think J.Crew has had some wool herringbone blazers in a similar color to this in the relatively recent past. These ones are darker, but a similar general idea:

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/s...0948/30948.jsp

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/s...9158/99158.jsp

If you want to recreate this look, you might have better luck looking for a linen or cotton blazer if you're trying to get a good color match.

As for the outfit, I'm not crazy about the individual pieces he's wearing. I like the overall color effect, though. The jacket is ok except for the fit, which is off. The denim shirt doesn't do anything for me, other than the color. Something like a bright blue oxford shirt would work better. The chinos are fine... the belt would be ok but it looks like it was made for someone about 40 lbs heavier than the model. A tan jacket with a bright blue shirt, walnut belt, and dark brown (or are they eggplant?) chinos seems like a nice combo to me.
            Ben

Comment

Lets look at this logically, he's a good looking guy, if this was on carrot top....

It do see the appeal of it though it stands out and is very unique

Comment

Yeah I think the thing to take away from this is the color scheme. I do like the light blue combo with the camel jacket, but again this is on a stylish model who can actually pull this look off. I think it'd be tough if you weren't as visually gifted.

Comment

Originally posted by Longshanks View Post
                  To me it almost looks like tweed but 1) it's khaki and 2) it's apparently being worn in summer. Neither of those are things generally done with tweed.
                  I think it is just bright out. The folks behind him look to be wearing jackets and hats. Though they could be fabricated

Comment

tangent - frugal version of a tan belt like that which would go with walnut strands?

Comment

Originally posted by mr. mr. View Post
                      tangent - frugal version of a tan belt like that which would go with walnut strands?
                      I purchased one that looks similar @ H&M for $19. Goes pretty well with my walnut/tan mctavish

Comment

if it's for sale, I'd love to see the wheat-colored wool blazer you have...because the J. Crew jackets are similar, but that big pocket seems really rare, it's like a half jacket-half sweater hybrid.

Comment

Working...
                        X