Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tailoring the Lands End Sportsman Oilcloth Jacket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tailoring the Lands End Sportsman Oilcloth Jacket?

So, I just got this jacket in the saddle color: http://www.landsend.com/pp/mens-spor...228890_59.html.

It's been talked about on here before and the guy at Broke and Bespoke wrote about it a while back. I tried it on yesterday and like the fit pretty well, although it's a little boxy in the body. I'm wondering if any of you have experience getting jackets like this tailored a bit. Is it a tough job? Spendy?

What say you?

Depends on how that quilted lining is attached, I suspect. It's just felled seams in the back; not at all hard to take those in.

I think my tailor charged me.... $40 to take in a lined jacket, but that was typical polyester lining.

Comment

I think the issue isn't the lining. It's the pockets. The patch pockets are really wide. They already extend all the way back to my hip bone. There is a seam right around the hip bone (true side) and another on the back of the jacket. If you were to take it in much on either one, then the pocket would literally extend all the way to the rear of the jacket.

It's really well put together for the price, but if you're a trim guy, either wear it and have it look bulky or tailor it and risk having wrap around giant pockets.

I tried sizing down to a small, but the sleeves were borderline too short (I'm 6'0 175 and generally wear a 38L or 39R and 15.5 x 34 for reference). Also, it wasn't much trimmer at the hips. I'm afraid this just won't work for me. It's a shame, though.

Comment

Ooo, didn't think about that. So it could only be taken in like a shirt gets darted, not at the sides?

Comment

To be fair, I don't know how a tailor would adjust it - I'm just taking a cue from how they would adjust a sportcoat or suit jacket. I might take it to a tailor this week just for an opinion. But I really don't know how you could slim it in the body without causing the pockets to wrap around.

Comment

OP - Did you make a decision on tailoring? I just got mine in today, and am having the same issue as you, it's just a tad boxier in the body than I would like. Seems like there would be a way to take in the sides somehow...

Comment

Working...
            X