40 or 42?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

40 or 42?

I'm looking to buy a navy blazer off the rack. All of my suits are size 42, however, now that I've found sites like Dappered and others, I feel my suits may look a little too big on me in the shoulders. So, now I'm trying on blazers. A 42 fits fine, like my suits, but still I feel are a little big. When I try on a size 40, it looks good on me, shoulders fit good, however, the lapels bow out slightly. Too tight in the chest area? On the 42, the lapels lay flat, but the shoulders feel slightly big. My chest measures right at 40, maybe 41. The perfect size for me would probably be 41, but finding an affordable size 41 blazer is tough. So should I go with the size 40? Can the chest area be let out by a tailor? Or do I go the safe route and get a 42?

It needs to fit in the shoulders. I have the same problem. I am bigger up top. If it doesn't fit in shoulders and is too small in the chest pass on it.
    42" Chest 32" Waist 6' Tall 185 lbs.

Comment

The 40 does fit in the shoulders, but the lapels bow out slightly. The 42 fits in the shoulders, but I feel it looks too big, but the lapels lay flat on the 42.

Comment

If you are sure they both fit in the shoulders, buy the bigger one and have a tailor bring it in. That is likely to be more successful than having a tailor make on larger.

As far as the lapels bowing, I can't picture what you mean. Do you have to pull the jacket together to button the top button, so you see creases in the jacket spanning away from the button? You should be able to button it comfortably and pull it slightly away from your body (an inch or two, I find it varies based on the button stance, but is generally in this range).

Comment

I was struggling with the exact same problem this morning regarding the lapels bowing. Basically, I decided that the jackets I've been getting from Indochino were still a little too wide at the shoulders (my bad), so I asked them to drop 1/2" on a remake of my latest blazer. The change request was approved at 3/4" narrower, as reflected on my measurements page, but the remake itself came in another 1/2" narrower, or 1 1/4" narrower than the original jacket (which measures correctly).

Now I have a conundrum. The shoulders actually fit as I always thought they should. My wife took a quick glance from the front and instantly said, "That looks amazing." The problem is that it's amazing at rest. The jacket is snug at the shoulders, so the shoulders are actually pulling open the upper part of the jacket ever so slightly. It's not causing any pulling or creasing at the button, but it does cause the lapels to rise off the upper chest a small amount, and occasionally peak, or come to a very slight crease, halfway down from the neck to the button.

At the end of the day, this probably comes down to personal preference. Half of the models on the Indochino site are actually showing a similar effect. I just have to decide if I want to go with the really slim trendy look (which was kind of the direction I was leaning in with this jacket, just not this far) or if it's worth arguing for a second remake (and another three week delay) since they made this remake 1/2" smaller than they should have. It also looks like they're out of stock on this particular fabric so I'd have to get something different even if they agreed.

Comment

Working...
          X