Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to wear it: Corduroy Puffer vest..... Help it was a gift I swear!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to wear it: Corduroy Puffer vest..... Help it was a gift I swear!

Hey all,
    I got this as a gift (no gift receipt). I was wondering if its a lost cause or if there is a way to wear it without looking like an idiot.
    This is the item: (not the right color)

The one I have has a color scheme of Brown over the shoulders and Grey for the rest.
    This is the closest I could find but remember mine is Grey instead of khaki and of course is with cords. This pic shows leather/nylon or something

Anyways is there any salvation? I could use some Dappered assistance here.

Thank you

I can't seem to edit the post but I found the exact item I have which I'm sure will help:

Originally posted by Giatros89 View Post
    Hey all,
    I got this as a gift (no gift receipt). I was wondering if its a lost cause or if there is a way to wear it without looking like an idiot.
    This is the item: (not the right color)

The one I have has a color scheme of Brown over the shoulders and Grey for the rest.
    This is the closest I could find but remember mine is Grey instead of khaki and of course is with cords. This pic shows leather/nylon or something

Anyways is there any salvation? I could use some Dappered assistance here.

Thank you

Comment

I can see it being doable if you have the personal taste/style for it.

One way that I see it is this: Pair it with an unstructured navy blazer (under it, if it's slim fit enough, over it if it's large enough). Try it with slim fitting cords or chinos (no jeans, unless they don't really look like jeans, I personally get an almost cowboy vibe from this and you don't want people asking you "where's your hat, Tex?"

I'd also recommend trying it as if it's a heavier weight casual vest. Wear it with looks that you would wear a vest casually and see if you like the look.

Comment

I actually think you could try it with denim. To me it seems like a more rugged and outdoorsy type of piece. I can see it with maybe a henley or thick sweater with a flannel shirt underneath.

I don't think you should wear cord pants with this. That seems like too much corduroy to me.

Comment

Originally posted by KC View Post
          I don't think you should wear cord pants with this. That seems like too much corduroy to me.
          I can see that. It would depend on varying the wale of the corduroy, which admittedly might not actually vary the overall effect of that much corduroy.

Comment

Here is the actual vest. I just can't seem to edit my original post.
            This may help shine some light on the issue:

I agree cords would be too much. Chionos may work. The vest is definitely puffy so I don't think it will work with any blazer.

I like the sweater idea. What colors would work?

Comment

I know people have mixed feelings about the Style Blogger here, but this post may be able to help you (different color/material vest - but very similar style): http://tsbmen.com/7024/1-piece-ways-wool-down-vest/ I actually think that a puffy vest worn with a blazer in a really casual (this is the key) way is an interesting and do-able look.

Comment

Yeah I think you've got to be really stylish or at least on a more advanced level to pull off the whole blazer underneath thing. I think I'm on board with a really thin fitting vest in a neutral color underneath a blazer look, but a puffy cord version over one would be tough for most to adapt, at least naturally.

The key here though is to make sure whatever you wear underneath has some texture to it. Even the blazer example that brooklyn87 linked to has a rougher tweed texture. Again, I like the look with some dark denim and I think a dark henley would actually look pretty good underneath, or a sweater with some texture. I think a key is also to not match that same gray shade of color anywhere else up top.

Maybe: http://www.target.com/p/merona-men-s..._qi_detaillink
                With something like this underneath for some color: http://www.target.com/p/odin-new-yor...%20shirt%20men

Comment

I did some try outs with all your suggestions. Dark denim wins 100% it just works.
                  I don't think I can pull off blazers even if I had them.
                  I tried different sweaters underneath. What I found was that dark color sweaters clash with the Dark Grey/Brown of the vest. I tried brown sweater with stripes, solid maroon, and grey. Grey worked the best but I think the stock photo of white long sleeve looks better. I think it may work to have a lighter color long sleeve/sweater underneath however besides white I can't think of any other color that would work. Ideas? I just realized I have a dark blue and a light red I can try. Will update with a photo of what worked best.

The texture change idea is spot on!

Also thanks to whoever linked style blogger thank you. He shows a few different ways to wear this. I'm now getting an idea of using an front open fleece or quarter zip. I first thought vest, wtf do I do with this. Now I'm thinking it can like a "power-up" to a sweater making it more of a jacket with style. Wow I went from hating this to now being excited as to the possibilities.

I have to say: THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR AMAZING HELP. YOU guys are golden.
                  Last edited by Giatros89; November 30, 2012, 09:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X