Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

J Crew Factory Shirts Are The Best! (For Athletic Guys)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    I've only bought one shirt from J.Crew Factory. The fit was ok through the shoulders and arms but a bit loose in the body. Granted, this was one of their regular cut shirts. Their slim fits are probably better but they offer only a depressingly limited number of styles, and at the moment, they seem to have run pretty thin on color and sizing selection in the slim styles they DO have.
    Yeah, the one that really bothers me is the tattersall designs, which are only in classic fit. I know some can do the XS classic, but its far too tight in the chest for me.

Comment

Originally posted by redbeardedmike View Post
      I sized down in the merino sweaters (from medium to small) and they obviously the fit a lot trimmer in the body. The arms are still long enough, but the sweater itself is borderline short. It's also tight enough around the chest that you can see the 3rd button on my shirt, which isn't a huge deal to me and I'm sure it will stretch a bit in time. For reference, I'm 6'0 175 and usually take 34" or 35" sleeves and generally wear a 38L or 39R.

I would have bought the medium slim fit, but it doesn't come in as many colors.

On the other hand, I'm already starting to see pilling just a few wears in. I'll get the de-pilling tool Joe featured a little while ago, but I think I'm done with cheap sweaters after these go.
      I have to say the cotton cashmere are laughably thin. I typically like thinner sweaters, so this shouldn't bother me, but then the price should reflect it. I have these old navy cotton ones from a BF long ago and those feel like they will hold up longer. If it wasn't for the ridiculously large moose, the AF ones on sale (low 20s) are tons better in feel and fit for those of us with the 8+ inch chest to waist drop.

Comment

It says "Tailored by J Crew", not tailored or slim fit.
        42" Chest 32" Waist 6' Tall 185 lbs.

Comment

Originally posted by redbeardedmike View Post
          I sized down in the merino sweaters (from medium to small) and they obviously the fit a lot trimmer in the body. The arms are still long enough, but the sweater itself is borderline short. It's also tight enough around the chest that you can see the 3rd button on my shirt, which isn't a huge deal to me and I'm sure it will stretch a bit in time. For reference, I'm 6'0 175 and usually take 34" or 35" sleeves and generally wear a 38L or 39R.

I would have bought the medium slim fit, but it doesn't come in as many colors.

On the other hand, I'm already starting to see pilling just a few wears in. I'll get the de-pilling tool Joe featured a little while ago, but I think I'm done with cheap sweaters after these go.
          You shouldn't be buying smalls at 6 foot 175 pounds... Of course the sleeves will be short.
          42" Chest 32" Waist 6' Tall 185 lbs.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Porter View Post
            You shouldn't be buying smalls at 6 foot 175 pounds... Of course the sleeves will be short.
            This. I've commented on this before and I still don't understand it. I'm 5'8" and I have to buy Medium due to my body type. The sleeves are usually an inch or so long and the body is an inch or two longer than I'd like as well. But they're casual shirts so it doesn't bother me much. But someone 4" taller than me wearing a size Small? It does not compute.
            Last edited by Vicious49; November 30, 2012, 03:21 PM.

Comment

my brother in law is 5'10, 120ish (he's in high school) and he fits the classic fit S's perfectly, including the sleeves.

Dave- I bought one at the store that says Tailored by Jcrew, which turned out to be regular fit. Slim fit shirts all have the extra tag at the collar stating as such. For example, zoom in on this one:

http://factory.jcrew.com/mens-clothi...4485/74485.jsp

Comment

I just bought one of their washed plaid shirts (which is a Classic Fit) and a large fits me OK, although not quite as good as LEC. The shoulder seams, while acceptable for a casual shirt, are a tad lower than I'd like and the armpit area is a bit baggy. The sleeve length is perfect, however (better than LEC, which is too long) and the fit around my somewhat pudgy stomach is also pretty good (snug but not pulling). I considered sizing down to a medium but don't think it's worth trying as it would probably be too tight around my stomach.
                Last edited by MattRicketts; November 30, 2012, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Volker View Post
                  I just received the gingham in the mail and really like the fit for a casual shirt. Anyone know if their dress shirts have a longer tail? The washed shirts feel far too short to tuck in...
                  I just tried on the Dress shirt and Gingham that I got in the mail, and the Dress shirt definitely has a longer tail to tuck in. I definitely see what you're saying with the gingham shirt being cut short.

Comment

I bought the purple gingham washed in a medium slim (5'9" 190 42r 33) a couple months back. It is the best fitting OTR shirt I have ever put on. I have bought 3 or 4 more shirts from them since and even the nonslim shirts fit pretty trim, especially the washed Oxford. I think I must be very similar in body type to their "model" size. Their Bedford pants fit me incredibly well also.
                    Countryside Man of Letters

Comment

If a medium slim fit in JCF is a good fit, should I stick with medium in LEC or size down to small?

Comment

I would size down...I took a look at their oxfords in store yesterday (I'm a small) and it looked enormous.

Comment

Working...
                        X