Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maratac Watch (Large): With all the bells & whistles....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maratac Watch (Large): With all the bells & whistles....

How much do you believe the watch "would" actually cost?

As a reminder, these features include:

316 stainless steel case cut from solid block, Super luminova C3, Movement: 8245 (Japan movt), 10 ATM water resistant, Screw crown, Crown tube: Screw tube Shoulderless Spring Bar, Sapphire crystal domed, Non-hacking movement

Always been interested to get the opinions of the Dappered watch experts.

The domed sapphire crystal adds the greatest value to this watch. All the other features are relatively pedestrian for a "tool" or sport watch in the $150+ price range - entry-level Japanese automatic movement, average water resistance, good lume, screw-down crown, simple three-hand functioning without any complications like day/date. Outside the domed sapphire crystal, you will find a lot of Seikos with similar or slightly better overall specs at the same price point.

The lack of a true factory bracelet or strap detracts from the watch's value somewhat... a nice leather, rubber, or silicone strap with a signed buckle would add some value to the watch, whereas a factory bracelet with solid end-links and a machined clasp would add quite a lot of overall value.

At $200 + S&H, I think the watch is pretty fairly priced for what you get. For reference, at around the same price or slightly more, you can get a Seiko Monster with a domed mineral crystal, rubber strap or solid steel bracelet with diver's extension, automatic movement (with or without hacking/handwinding depending on the model), day/date complications, excellent lume, 200m WR, screw-down crown, rotating bezel, and drilled lugs.

For a more apples-to-apples comparison, you can look at it vs. the Bernhardt Sea Shark or Binnacle Anchor. At $240 each, these models have similar overall specs to the Maratac except that they both come with factory bracelets and have flat, rather than domed, sapphire crystals (and not much lume to speak of).

I could see someone making a watch with the Maratac Pilot's specs and trying to sell it for $300-400 (and frankly a lot of "boutique" watchmakers basically do that), but IMO that would be an unjustifiably high price without an upgrade in terms of the movement or the addition of a really nice bracelet.
    Last edited by LesserBlackDog; November 29, 2012, 02:25 PM.
    Ben

Comment

So... yeah. Ben makes great points. I will simply add a couple photos. First two are same strap, dark brown. Third is tan, hirsch.

Comment

Mid-size was supposed to be released on their site at noon today! I've been checking back a little obsessively but no dice yet.

Comment

The Mid and Full size watches are up for sale now. They have a slight design difference and are called 2013 models. I ordered a mid size a few minutes ago.

http://www.countycomm.com/midpilotcentral.html

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
            The domed sapphire crystal adds the greatest value to this watch. All the other features are relatively pedestrian for a "tool" or sport watch in the $150+ price range - entry-level Japanese automatic movement, average water resistance, good lume, screw-down crown, simple three-hand functioning without any complications like day/date. Outside the domed sapphire crystal, you will find a lot of Seikos with similar or slightly better overall specs at the same price point.

The lack of a true factory bracelet or strap detracts from the watch's value somewhat... a nice leather, rubber, or silicone strap with a signed buckle would add some value to the watch, whereas a factory bracelet with solid end-links and a machined clasp would add quite a lot of overall value.

At $200 + S&H, I think the watch is pretty fairly priced for what you get. For reference, at around the same price or slightly more, you can get a Seiko Monster with a domed mineral crystal, rubber strap or solid steel bracelet with diver's extension, automatic movement (with or without hacking/handwinding depending on the model), day/date complications, excellent lume, 200m WR, screw-down crown, rotating bezel, and drilled lugs.

For a more apples-to-apples comparison, you can look at it vs. the Bernhardt Sea Shark or Binnacle Anchor. At $240 each, these models have similar overall specs to the Maratac except that they both come with factory bracelets and have flat, rather than domed, sapphire crystals (and not much lume to speak of).

I could see someone making a watch with the Maratac Pilot's specs and trying to sell it for $300-400 (and frankly a lot of "boutique" watchmakers basically do that), but IMO that would be an unjustifiably high price without an upgrade in terms of the movement or the addition of a really nice bracelet.
            Hey Ben, oddly enough I am now just seeing this. Thanks for the input.

Comment

No offense intended, due to the subjective nature of appropriate watch sizes, but I think that thing looks absolutely ridiculous. This kind of ridiculous....

Comment

Working...
              X