Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are most of today's mens coats a little too short?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are most of today's mens coats a little too short?

Or is it just me?

earlier this fall, i spent a week or so looking for a peacoat i can buy. found some solid options in banana republic and lands end, quality fabric, nice fit and all. but when i put them on and look in the mirror, something was just a little off. it bugged me for a while until one day i saw my girlfriend in her burberry wool coat, it looked classy, elegantly appropriate for cold weather. it just looks complete. all of a sudden it became all clear, her coat is longer than all the peacoats i had tried on, not physically longer than a men's coat, but reached deeper down on the thigh.

that got me thinking: i recall maybe 5 -10 years ago, most of men's coats were longer than what we see on the market today. somewhere, somehow, this trend of shorter outerwear got off the fashion t walk and into mass-market production street wear. i understand for a lighter piece of outerwear, like a motor jacket, or a casual/athletic type like a parka, one may want it a little short. but for a wool blend coat coat, which is at least semi-formal and worn for cold weather, why would anyone want it to be so short? we are seeing coats that don't even reach the bottom of your butt, which is shorter than a suit jacket by conventional wisdom. a coat is designed to be worn outside of a suit jacket, and with this coat you run the risk of showing the bottom of your jacket poking out because the outer coat ends too damn high.

coming back to the peacoat gripes. a peacoat has double breast buttons that gives the illusion of a broad torso, and a big lapel worn with the collar popped up, again imposing a muscular powerful presence. then you have the coat ending around or even above the bottom of your crotch, which is what i see on 95% of today's peacoat. it's inconsistent, looks unfinished, visually out of balance. for that reason i am now only considering wool coats that are mid thigh length, reaching a little deeper beyond the bottom of your butt. a good rule i found is that i put my arms straight down on the sides, my hands fully stretched, the coat better reach the fingertip of my middle finger, or close to that. remember the curl-your-hand rule for suit length? uncurl your hand and that's your coat length, this way your coat always safely covers your jacket, but still not sloppily long like a grandpa''s coat.

well i guess like a lot of other things in style, it all comes down to personal taste, and i am definitely not here to troll against those of you who look perfectly fine in a peacoat and whatnot, but i thought i'd vent it out and may hear your thoughts on this.

It's subjective and time-related. Sean Connery's suits fit him in the 1960s, but the same fittings on Daniel Craig would be widely claimed as poor fit.

Comment

My peacoat hits at my second knuckle and I like it that way. I could go a bit longer, but wouldn't go shorter than that.

Comment

They do make 3/4 length overcoats etc as well.

Comment

Every trend gets taken to extremes. Lapels are too skinny, jackets are too short, pants are too short. The trouble is that a designer or consultant or whoever creates a look on someone (think Thom Browne), and then the industry tries to peddle that look on to everyone. It's also a matter of tapping in to people's desires to cast off the old and buy the new - which is easier when there's a clear discrepancy between the old and the new.

I wear a 20something year old peacoat that hits upper-mid-thigh. I'd like it a little longer than it is, actually. There's no way I'd wear any of those 'belly shirt' peacoats I see in some stores.

Comment

i agree that all fashion trends are time relevant. however, there are some things that are always considered timeless classics. like a crisp white shirt is always your safest bet for most occasions, it's hard to look bad in it. certainly there are much more outrageous sartorial experiments in history, but i don't consider short peacoats to be a classic thing. i guess i am in the camp that like to stay with the more classic stuff and don't venture out of the box much when it comes to clothes, although i am ok with slim lapels on suits and crazy color socks.

well i can't complain, i just got a banana republic car coat with a length to my liking and a simple fold-over collar, unless something extreme happens, i think i will settle with it.

Comment

It's all relative to your size/height. A shorter man is going to look better in a shorter/cropped jacket generally speaking. And a taller man can afford to have a longer coat and still look proportionally stylish. My best example for this is probably a classic trench coat. I've never seen it work on a shorter man as well as it does on a taller one.

Comment

I like the shorter suit jackets and blazers. Some take it far enough I simply can't wear them at 6' 1". I recently had to send back a GAP admiral blazer because it was just too short. I think it is generally a bad idea for overcoats though. If I am wearing an overcoat I want to look good but mostly....I want to be warm.

Comment

i tried on admiral too, fit was not half bad, but yes, it's too damn short. i am actually ok with suits that don't reach my knuckle, but that one was hideously short, and the pockets are kinda tacky. GAP does a lot of stuff right, but this is not one of them.

Originally posted by thepenguin99 View Post
                  I like the shorter suit jackets and blazers. Some take it far enough I simply can't wear them at 6' 1". I recently had to send back a GAP admiral blazer because it was just too short. I think it is generally a bad idea for overcoats though. If I am wearing an overcoat I want to look good but mostly....I want to be warm.

Comment

Working...
                  X