Stepping outside your comfort zone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stepping outside your comfort zone

As someone who's just started finding his personal style and trying to dress better, I feel like I step outside my comfort zone of jeans, sneakers, and t-shirts (or untucked patterned button-up shirts) most days of the week. Today's it's as simple as wearing my white OCBD from Ratio for the first time at work with the top two buttons undone! This shirt is fantastic but it's much dressier than what everyone else in my office wears so I'm dressing it down as much as I possibly can by wearing it untucked with dark inky blue Levi's and sneakers (PF Flyers Bob Cousy, very similar to Chuck Taylors). I'm also have a really hard time keeping that second button undone...just feels weird but I'm trying to get used to it. Anyway, just curious about what other guys on here consider their "comfort zone" and how often they step outside of it. I'm sure us newbies do it a lot more often than the seasoned style veterans on here!

one of the most important lessons in life, regardless of the situation, is learning not to care if you look stupid or fail.

not only are your failures never as bad as they seem, they're often much less numerous than you fear.

chest hair is awesome, so rock that 2nd button like a champ.

Comment

I went through this a lot when I first started to switch up my wardrobe about 2 years ago. Went from wearing hoodies and jeans with sneakers to where I am now, making my first trip to the tailor and altering a navy suit to wear, sometimes just because. It's much easier to gradually make these changes, as you're not overwhelming yourself (and others I guess) with too much too soon. It's a shock. I never would have imagined wearing white jeans 5 years ago but I went for it when I started getting more motivated about style and do remember getting compliments for them. I rarely wear them anymore, but it's one of those early tests out of my comfort zone that I think allowed me to not be afraid of substituting the sneakers for dress shoes and casual leather alternatives, and the hoodies for ties.

Comment

Well being a college student especially just at state dressing nice isn't seen often so really anything "nice" I wear is outside the norm. I have to admit, My button up are normally worn untucked with the top 2 buttons undone but when I started switching my converse for a brown suede-y shoe it was outside my comfort zone big time and I'm now starting to integrate blazers on occasion which I feel fine wearing but when everyone around you is in sweats it can be a little awkward. I wouldn't say I've gotten to the point where I'm super daring yet or wearing crazy things like orange pants but who knows...

Comment

Argh, what's even more annoying is that I didn't wear a sweater or my zip-up sweatshirt (well-fitting cardigan style from LL Bean) since it felt warm at home. Sitting at my desk it's quite chilly and I could've easily worn a layer over my OCBD. You live, you learn...

Comment

T-shirt/jeans used to be my comfort zone, and now that I've started dressing better, button downs and chinos have become my new comfort zone, albeit a better one. I'm still uncomfortable wearing blazers or ties just for the heck of it, since I'd be way overdressed both at work and around town, save for nicer restaurants and the like. I'm going to try to be more interesting with colors and layers this winter and see where it goes from there.

Comment

Working...
            X